FAIRY TALES #5 - YOUNGJAE

You first saw Youngjae through the small window on his practice room's door. You were passing by when you heard him singing. He was no siren, but somehow his voice allured you so you started to walk toward his voice, trying to have a face to match with the voice. His face wasn't disappointing either. He was.. pretty as well. You sighed as you couldn't believe how someone with pretty face like him could have such an angelic voice. He must've been one of God's favorite too since he forgot to give him some flaws. You were lucky since he had his back facing the door, so he didn't know that you've been watching him practicing. Since then, you always came earlier before your piano lesson and then stayed behind if Youngjae was still practicing. You were lucky that he never turned around whenever practicing so he never caught you watching. After a week watching him, you asked your parents to let you learn vocal as well. You asked your vocal teacher to teach you the same song that Youngjae has been practicing and you realized you had to practice harder. Then you saw the announcement. There would be a performance for everyone that's been studying in the music academy in three months. Since you got two classes, you had to pick and you decided to perform piano at first. However, when you were about to submit your data for the performance with your name and the title of the piece that you would be playing, you overheard something interesting.

"Did you hear? Youngjae from vocal class suddenly wanted to do a duet," a girl whispered to her friend. You never saw them both, but again, you never socialized with others since you've been using your spare time to spy Youngjae.

"A duet? Really?" the girl was shocked as well. Youngjae has been known as a soloist and no one dared to ask him for a duet.

"Yes. And he specifically asked for a girl as his partner. He didn't want to partner with another boy," the first girl added. Hearing that information, you gripped your paper and decided to postpone it. You had to persuade your vocal trainer and you didn't have much time. The performance was in a month. So if you wanted to be his duet partner, you had to practice much harder.

You knew the song that Youngjae wanted to perform, so you started to practice the song. Your vocal trainer warned you that if you abused your vocal cord so much, it wouldn't be beneficial. She tried to persuade you to just go with your piano performance and not pursue being Youngjae's duet partner. But you insisted. She sighed, hoping that you wouldn't hurt your vocal cord in the process. That afternoon, you felt suffocated in the classroom, so after the class ended, you didn't feel like watching Youngjae, so you headed to the rooftop. Luckily no one else was there, so you slumped on the bench and stared at the sky before closing your eyes. After awhile, you started to feel better so you started singing again. Little did you know that someone heard your singing that day. That person held the doorknob to the rooftop but didn't dare to push the door wide open to see you. He just heard your voice through the door and quickly scrambled from the stairs when you stopped singing. The deadline for the submission was a month away and Youngjae decided to hold the audition for his duet partner. You have submitted your name for the audition and got a schedule on Wednesday. However, a week before the audition, you heard a bad news.

"Did you hear? Youngjae had an accident," one of the girls told her friends and stopped you on your tracks. Clearly wanted to eavesdrop, you pretended to read the announcement on the board but your ears were opened wide to hear more about the news.

"What kind of accident?" the other girls asked.

"I just heard that some crazy fans of him splashed acid to his face. I heard he might lose his eyesight," the first girls added. "Do you want to go and visit him later?"

You didn't hear the rest of the conversation as your focus only on the last part, Youngjae might lose his eyesight. That made you lose your concentration for the rest of the day. Without realizing, you have arrived at the hospital where he was hospitalized and you stopped right outside his room. You saw from the small window on the door that he and his parents were talking to the doctor, so you waited outside. But you heard everything. The doctor informed them that his cornea was completely damaged because of the acid and he needed cornea transplantation if he wanted to recover his eyesight, but the list was quite long, so he wouldn't be able to see for quite some time. The news surely crushed his heart as you could hear his desperate cry. You scrambled and wiped your own tears when the doctor went out of the room. You tried to leave but his mother came out before you could walk away.