BEGINNING TO FOREVER (JINYOUNG) - pt. 2

Pervert Mnemonics

Even though you managed to get through the first semester, but anatomy was a different beast. You had to memorize the names of all muscles in the human body. Not to mention the blood vessels that ran from head to toe, both the arteries and veins and the nerves that innervated everything. You had to memorize which muscle did which movement. Which vessels that gave branches to which branches. You also had to memorize some of their exact location like the artery and venous of intracostal vessels, you had to memorize the sequence between the artery, venous and the nerve because you had to avoid the nerve if you were about to put in a chest tube. Or the femoralis artery. Usually medical student picked that one to draw artery blood as it was one of the biggest artery in the body. And let's not forget about the brain. You looked at the dump of brain matters in front of you with frustration. Sure in the atlas, they colored it so you could see the different part of the lobes, but in reality, there was no such thing as a clear border. You could only see the gyruses and had to resort to imagination to draw the border in your mind.

After the first class when you fainted, you got used to the formaldehyde scent. It was just as Jinyoung said. The scent dissipated after awhile. You didn't feel the sting on your eyes anymore when you cut the body open. During the first week, everyone made sure they ate their lunch way long before the class started. But after two weeks, even you could sneak eating bread in the lab. Even some of your friends made joke about how certain body parts looked like a certain dish. To normal people, it might sound disgusting and eliminating one's appetite, but you found out that medical students had different humor and appetite. Half the semester, even you could eat in front of the body without losing your appetite.

The first exam was a bit easy as it was about bones, muscles and the vessels and innervation of the muscle. You could see them easily. They were big ones in the body to see so you didn't have to rely your imagination. You had to struggle to memorize them all. Your brain capacity was not as big as Jinyoung's so you had to accept his few flicks on your forehead when you answered him incorrectly when he helped you to study. The second part was a bit harder as it started to discuss about various system in the human body. You remembered the first time you felt the human lung. It wasn't like anything you imagined before. Human heart was as big as your palm. And the coronary artery that pumped the blood into the heart muscle was really tiny. Then the digestive system. You remembered that the intestine was very long. However, you were amazed to see that the kidney was similar to the picture on the book. The only problem was, the vessels and the nerves for all the systems in the body was crazy to memorize. There were a lot. You gave up to memorize the exact order of blood vessels, from the heart to the organ. Then it got harder as the last part was the nervous system. From the brain to the spinal cord. The wires of the body. You totally got lost in the last part.

You slumped in your seat as you felt your brain overheated. The exam was in two days. And you still couldn't remember half of it. Jinyoung helped you to remember it by telling you some mnemonics. Like the ones to remember the carpal bones. Jinyoung told you that you just had to remember She Looks Too Pretty Try To Catch Her (Scaphoid Lunate Triquetral Pisiform Trapezium Trapezoid Capitate Hammate). However, you overheard some boys memorized it differently. You asked Jinyoung about it but he didn't tell you about it. You were fine with the mnemonics he gave you as it was quite easy to remember so you didn't pester him anymore. But when you had to memorize the order of cranial nerves, you somehow couldn't memorize the mnemonics he gave you.

"On Old Olympus..," you only remembered the first three Os in the cranial nerves which were Olfactory, Optic and Okulomotor nerve. You struggled to remember the other nine.

"Jinyoung-ie, do you have other options for the cranial nerves? I think the mnemonic is hard to memorize for me," you whined and Jinyoung's face was red. You frowned as you didn't know why he would get embarrased by your question.