I just want to be worthy of you

Hongjoong wasn't sure he wanted to meet with Seonghwa just yet. After he'd just brought him into this mess, he had to convince him to step out. He couldn't risk Seonghwa's career for everyone else's. It wasn't fair.

He had started sticking his nose into this mess. He needed to be the one who went down if things went south.

But Seonghwa was so happy to be included. And he'd practically figured out the last piece.

He would have to come up with a reason to convince him to step out. He wanted to tell him the truth. But if he did, there was no way Seonghwa would let him take the blame.

He had to lie...again.

And it really fucking sucked.

But he needed to protect Seonghwa. No matter what. He knew they had said each other's careers always came first. But he'd been lying.

He meant Seonghwa's career came first. He meant Seonghwa came first.

He couldn't let anything get in Seonghwa's way. Not after what he'd already been through.

Finally he approached their bedroom, taking a deep breath. He opened the door.

Seonghwa was sitting on the bed, scrolling on his phone. Hongjoong walked over to the edge of the bed and took a seat.

He mentally prepared the speech he'd been reciting for the past hour.

"I think I should step back from the whole spy thing."

Hongjoong turned to face Seonghwa in alarm.

"What?"

"There's a lot of things they're saying that are hitting a little too close to home. I think it's better if I try to avoid them."

Hongjoong nodded slowly but panic rose up inside him. What had they said to him this time? Were they still trying to make their move? Maybe JYP was better than he'd given him credit for.

They hadn't known who they were dealing with.

"Okay. I'm sorry for putting you in that position, Hwa."

"It's fine. I think I just need to focus on preparing for the showcase."

So he was also considering staying.

Did he have a breakthrough on JYP's power too? Or were they really scaring him into staying? What had they said to him?

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Seonghwa set his phone down, turning to look right into Hongjoong's eyes.

"I only have one question."

"Yeah, sure, go ahead," Hongjoong stuttered, not expecting that response.

"The Rock Festival. Did you know?"

Hongjoong felt his blood run cold.

Fuck.

He didn't mean to figure out but JYP had mentioned it when they were talking to set up their auditions. He had made sure to mention that the only reason he was considering them was Wonderland's victory at the competition.

But he didn't want to tell Seonghwa since they'd agreed to never look.

But he couldn't lie.

"Not until recently—"

"Fuck, Joong. We agreed not to look!"

"I know! It wasn't intentional—JYP told me when I was going through the application process—"