And he didn't hold it back

Jeongin answered Hongjoong's buzz after a few minutes and Hongjoong sighed in relief.

"Hi, it's Hongjoong. I just wanted to—"

"I think you should probably leave."

Hongjoong froze.

"What?"

"Things are...kind of tense here. I can't let you in."

Hongjoong felt his chest tighten. Was Seonghwa inside? Had he gotten into another argument with Minho? Was he in big trouble?

"I don't want to come in I just wanted to know if—have you seen Seonghwa?"

"Oh. No, I don't think he came by. And I wouldn't have let him in either. Everyone's really tense after the whole...Minho and Changbin argument."

Hongjoong sighed. So it didn't have anything to do with Seonghwa. He didn't come here. But he didn't like that Minho was involved. Not that it surprised him. He figured that was a loose end he needed to follow.

"What happened? That is—only if you're allowed to tell me?"

"I really shouldn't say anything but...I know it had to do with Minho and Jisung. And then Minho left a while ago. I think he took a bottle of wine from the fridge. If you see him...could you check on him for me? He doesn't like to ask for help but...I'm just worried about him. I know he comes off cold but he's really one of the sweetest members. And he needs someone."

Hongjoong hated to admit that he felt a little bad. He couldn't possibly believe he was one of the sweetest members, but he could believe he wasn't doing so hot. And he shouldn't be alone.

"Okay. I'll keep an eye out for him. Do you know where he went?"

"No, sorry. He just stormed out. The main floor is full of cameras so I don't think he went anywhere very far away. I thought you might see him somewhere in the stairwell, drinking by himself."

"I didn't see him on my way down but I only made it down one flight of stairs. I'll look for him for you."

"Thank you so much. I would go but everyone here seems to be on Jisung's side. And I know Minho shouldn't have said what he said but...I'm just worried."

"Yeah. Of course. I'll let you know if I see him."

"Thanks. Now you should probably go before someone catches me talking to you."

"Of course."

Hongjoong decided to make his way down the rest of the stairs, assuming he was more likely to be below him than above him.

But as he ran down the steps, he couldn't help but shake his head at himself.

What was he doing? Chasing after Minho? Seonghwa's ex? Was he out of his mind?

Who was to say he would even try to help when he saw him? If Minho tried anything, Hongjoong wasn't sure he could hold himself back. He had a lot of things he wanted to say to him. And it honestly might even get physical.

But he'd promised Hwa he wouldn't get involved. So he would have to control himself.

And besides...he had a feeling that wherever Minho was...Seonghwa wouldn't be far away.

It seemed far too suspicious that both of them were missing at the same time.

As much as Hongjoong wanted to trust him...Seonghwa had lied to him before. It wouldn't be anything new.

He just hoped he was wrong.

Just as he reached the last landing, a loud shout echoed down the staircase. Someone yelling.

And—maybe it was just his imagination—but it sounded like Seonghwa.

He turned and started climbing the stairs. It sounded like it had come from the top of the stairs but it seemed too faint. So he must be behind one of the doors that led to the landing. One that was open a crack.

But he hadn't seen any on his way down. So...something above their floor. Where he'd predicted Seonghwa had gone...

He hated being right.

He tried to go faster but his legs were tiring by the sixth flight. Until he saw the door to the roof open a crack.

He heard voices on the other side, someone sounded like they'd been crying. Was it Seonghwa? What had Minho said to him?

In his anger, Hongjoong threw open the door.

But he froze at the sight before him.

Seonghwa. Minho. Kissing.

"H—hwa?" he managed before falling back against the doorframe. His legs hardly had the strength to keep him upright.

Seonghwa wrenched his face away, his eyes flashing with fear.

"Hongjoong! I swear to god it's not what it looks like! He just—"

"Why did you—wh—I—how could you—"

"Hongjoong—please!" Seonghwa's eyes were filled with tears, his voice cried out in desperation.

"I don't even—I can't—I'll just—I need to check on San and Wooyoung."

Hongjoong turned, stumbling back into the stairwell.

"Hongjoong! Wait, please! You motherfucker! Why the hell did you do that!? Hongjoong! Please!"

Hongjoong hardly processed Seonghwa's pleading as he walked down the stairs and found their landing. He heard Seonghwa chasing after him but he didn't wait. He let the door slam. Seonghwa reached it on the other side.

"Hongjoong! Please! Let me explain! I didn't even know he was going to do that!"

"Hyung? What happened? What's he talking about?"

Wooyoung and San still sat on the couch, but San had fallen asleep in Wooyoung's lap. With the sudden slam of the door he had started to wake back up.

"Hongjoong! Hongjoong! Fuck! Please, Hongjoong!"

"Hongjoong?" Wooyoung asked, his gaze darkening.

"Don't let him in. He can stay with Minho tonight if he wants a bed."

Hongjoong walked past the two of them and back to his bedroom. He closed the door and locked it, moving to the bed and sitting on the edge.

Finally, the images hit him. The emotions. The fears. The heartbreak.

And he didn't hold it back.