"I'm really sorry, Hwa."

What had happened while he was gone?

Hongjoong jumped to his first conclusion. Minho had tried to kiss Seonghwa again. But he quickly pushed it down. He wouldn't. Not after everything Seonghwa did for him.

Unless...that inspired him...

No. Hongjoong shook his head. He had to trust Seonghwa. Now that he was telling him the truth. So he would just ask.

"What was that about?"

Seonghwa shook his head, moving to grab the ice from his bedside.

"I don't know. He's just not in the best place right now. With everything he's got going on, I'm sure my injury is just stressing him out more now. I feel so bad," Seonghwa sat up, starting to remove his shirt but his fracture quickly stopped him.

Hongjoong walked over, sitting down beside him in bed, reaching for the hem of Seonghwa's shirt.

"Hwa, do you seriously feel bad for being injured? Because I will remind you, it's his fault you even broke anything."

"Hongjoong, stop. It's not a blame game. I chose to help him."

"Because I left you outside the dorm by yourself..." he muttered, his hands stuck at Seonghwa's waist as he fidgeted with the fabric.

"Hongjoong..."

"It's fine. It's why you're being nicer to him, right? You're worried about him."

"I'm worried about you, too."

"But not as much as him. You really care about him, don't you?"

"Hongjoong, what are you implying?"

"Nothing! I'm just saying, it doesn't feel fair that he could treat you so horribly and yet you're still so good to him."

"Because he's going through a really hard time right now. I know he's got his issues but he's just human."

"Well, it just feels like you're being a little nicer than you have to. Than he deserves."

"Hongjoong. Look at me."

Hongjoong kept his eyes on the hem of Seonghwa's shirt.

"Joongie. Eyes. Gimme."

Hongjoong sighed, looking up.

"I tease you because I know why you're babying me so much. And I hate it. I hate seeing you beat yourself up about it."

"Hwa, I've told you, I don't care. No matter what you say, I'll still see how much my choice affected you."

"Hongjoong..."

"It's okay. I just...need to do this. For me."

"You're so difficult," Seonghwa sighed, holding Hongjoong's chin with his hand. Hongjoong pressed his cheek into Seonghwa's palm.

"But you love me for it," Hongjoong smiled.

Seonghwa shook his head.

"Just help me get this ice wrapped," he sighed and Hongjoong nodded.

He finally lifted Seonghwa's shirt over his shoulders, moving to grab the ice from the nightstand. But as he brought it back, he got a good look at Seonghwa's chest and he felt a chill run through him.

"Hwa..."

It couldn't have been much more than a month since they'd arrived here but Seonghwa seemed to be even slimmer than he was before. His ribs were much more prominent than ever and his lower stomach almost looked a bit sunken in. It didn't help that the dark bruising around his ribs cast dark shadows over his chest.

Seonghwa looked away.

Hongjoong realized he was making him uncomfortable and got to work tying the ice around his chest. But he couldn't help but notice the prominence of his spine as his hands slid around his narrow frame.

Had their disagreement really had such a drastic effect on him? How had he not noticed before?? He felt tears forming in his eyes but quickly wiped them away.

He helped Seonghwa put his shirt back on and Seonghwa stayed turned away from him as the sat uncomfortably on the bed.

"Hwa..."

"It's nothing. I just didn't really have much of an appetite. Besides, when we weren't really training at a company I kind of slacked off a bit so it wasn't like I was at an ideal weight before anyways."

Hongjoong nodded, trying not to make as big of a deal as he wanted to. It shocked him. To see how his actions had hurt Seonghwa. So drastically.

He wrapped his arms around him, feeling the sharp bones below his skin so much more now that he had seen them. He felt like if he covered him with his own body he could protect him, keep him warm, keep him safe. He buried his face in Seonghwa's shoulder.

"Ow—you're hurting my ribs! Please don't squeeze so hard," Seonghwa grunted and Hongjoong quickly loosened his grip.

"I'm sorry it's just—I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, Hwa."

Seonghwa slid under the covers and turned away from him.

"You should get ready for practice. The other members should be waking up soon."

Hongjoong nodded, taking the hint that he wanted to be alone.