It had to be something more

After they'd finished their pizza, an awkward silence fell over the group. Hongjoong wasn't sure what anyone else was thinking but his mind was stuck on Minho.

Well...Minho and Seonghwa.

Something weird had been going on between them since they'd arrived, and he was still trying to figure it out.

He noticed that they kept exchanging glances. Not any that meant anything, but they were clearly trying to communicate something. Something that he and Jisung weren't allowed to know.

As if they had planned this.

It was a bit of a relief to know Jisung wasn't in on it either but he wondered what they had spoken about.

Did it have to do with the other night when Seonghwa followed Minho? He had come back suspiciously calm.

Or was it nothing at all? Was Hongjoong just jumping to conclusions all because Seonghwa had made a friend?

He wished it were the latter. Then he could just feel guilty. But he couldn't shake the memory of Seonghwa's reaction the first time he saw Minho.

The way he'd dropped Hongjoong's hand. The way he stumbled on his words. The way he wouldn't talk to Hongjoong that night.

It had to be something more.

And Hongjoong was going to figure it out.

"So, you two are a couple? How has dating been with—you know, the dating ban?"

Hongjoong was caught completely off-guard at Minho's remark, and it appeared Seonghwa was as well. Hongjoong turned to him and the two locked eyes. Seonghwa decided to speak.

"I guess you could call it that. It's been good," he smiled shyly.

He knew he was just a bit embarrassed to speak so openly but Hongjoong couldn't help but feel a sting at his words. He guessed?

"How about you two?" Hongjoong added, turning the conversation around.

Minho turned to smile at Jisung and grabbed his hands tenderly.

"It's been the best few years of my life."

Jisung's cheeks grew bright red at the gesture and he looked away trying to hide it.

"Awww, did I make you shy babe?" Minho laughed, reaching a hand up to Jisung's jaw and drawing him back.

"Well—no, it's just—you never—you've never—"

Surprising all of them, Minho pulled Jisung in for a kiss, cutting him off. Hongjoong moved to look at Seonghwa but Seonghwa had his eyes locked on the pair. He looked almost...upset.

Almost...sad.

With a start, Hongjoong realized who Minho was to Seonghwa.

He had a crush on him.

Everything made so much sense.

The nervous energy when they'd met. The awkwardness, the avoidance. How quickly he'd jumped to talk to Minho in the middle of the night. Why he'd agreed to go on this double date rather than just hang out with Hongjoong.

Hongjoong scoffed and shook his head, finally catching Seonghwa's attention.

"What?"

His eyes searched Hongjoong's face for an explanation for his sudden change in demeanor.

"You're really bad at hiding things from me."

Seonghwa's eyes flashed and a wash of panic took over him. He instinctively positioned himself between Hongjoong and Minho. Hongjoong laughed.

"Relax, I'm not going to do anything."

Seonghwa looked plainly confused but before Hongjoong could say anything, Jisung pushed Minho away with a hard shove.

"Okay—what the hell is up with you?! You're never like this!"

Hongjoong and Seonghwa turned sharply, taken aback by the sudden rise in volume. Minho sat back up, his expression too hard to read.

"What do you mean? I can't show them how much I love you?"

Minho reached an arm towards Jisung to pull him into a hug but Jisung swatted it away.

"Seriously, Minho. What's going on?"

"Jisu—"

"I'm sorry you guys, I have to go. It was nice spending time with you."

They bowed quickly as he stormed out and Minho stood to follow.

"Jisung!"

"Minho."

Minho turned to see Seonghwa holding his sleeve. He shook his head at him.

Hongjoong looked between the two and sighed, moving to stand.

"I'll go talk to him."

Before the other two could say anything, he went back into the room and into the hallway, trying to find where Jisung had gone. He heard sniffling coming from the living room so he decided it was his best bet and made his way over.

"Hey, Jisung...I know we don't know each other very well but—"

"H-Hongjoong?"

As he turned into the room, he realized with a start that the boy crying wasn't Jisung.

It was Felix.

"Oh. I'm sorry—I thought you were—"

"It's okay. I'm sorry—I—I think he went to talk to Changbin. Our room is the first one on the left," Felix said with a tear-streaked smile.

Hongjoong couldn't believe someone who gave off such positive energy could look so defeated. Seeing such a sweet face, flooded with tears...

"I'm okay, really. Sorry you had to see this—it's really not a big deal."

Hongjoong nodded and stepped out of the room, towards Jisung but stopped. He couldn't just leave Felix to cry by himself.

He turned back and walked over to the couch, sitting next to him. He felt awkward placing his hand on him so he just sat close enough to give him company.

"Hongjoong—you really don't have to—"

"I do."

Felix smiled a bit wider, clearly trying to prove he was fine. But his lip quivered and tears started rushing down his cheeks.

Hongjoong instinctively opened his arms and Felix came to him, pressing his cheek against Hongjoong's lap as he let it out. Hongjoong was surprised by how trusting he was and it took him a moment before he let his hand rest on Felix's back. He moved it back and forth, slowly stroking him as he cried.

"It's alright," he said softly, not sure how else to comfort the boy. "I've got you."