8 makes 1 team

"Hey Yeosang, do you think you could show me how to do that last bit? I can't seem to get the rhythm right," Mingi asked shyly and Yeosang nodded, heading to the drumset to aid him.

"Could you two turn down your amps a bit? I can't really hear myself over the volume. Otherwise I can always sing louder," Jongho threatened and San and Wooyoung quickly apologized, turning their amps back a few decibels.

"Hongjoong? Do you have an extra copy of the sheet music for Deja Vu? I must have left mine at home," Yunho sighed and Hongjoong nodded, grabbing a spare from his dense binder of music.

Seonghwa smiled to himself, watching his band at work. Everyone united.

8 makes 1 team, after all. That was the chant they'd decided on.

Even though they hadn't even decided what company they would perform under.

"You look like a mother fawning over her children."

Seonghwa was pulled out of his daydream as his favorite person pulled up a chair and sat next to him.

"It kind of feels that way," Seonghwa smiled.

"Well, it's cute."

Hongjoong grinned up at him and Seonghwa brought his forehead down to meet his, brushing his nose against Hongjoong's.

"How are you doing?" he asked, feeling his breath as it made contact on Hongjoong's soft cheeks.

"I'm good. A little overwhelmed but just happy that we get to be together."

"Me too."

They sat together a while, just drinking in the presence of the other.

It made Seonghwa warm and fuzzy inside. Something he hadn't felt in so long. To have someone whose company he enjoyed so greatly that just being near them placated all of his worries.

"You guys are cute but I'd rather not run overtime so can we please start practice?" Wooyoung whined.

Seonghwa locked eyes with Hongjoong and both of them smiled sadly, knowing they had to part. They slowly pulled away and turned to face the group, realizing everyone had just been waiting for them to notice.

Seonghwa felt his cheeks flushing a bit in embarrassment but he didn't regret it.

He couldn't regret anything when it came to Hongjoong.

"Alright, sorry. What song are we starting with?" he asked, grabbing his guitar from its case.

"Wasn't this practice specifically focused on Take Me Home? Did you forget that all of a sudden?" Jongho asked.

"Right—sorry," Seonghwa sighed, only furthering his embarrassment. But he noticed a slight shift in his old bandmates at Jongho's question.

He saw a flash of fear.

They were worried how he would react.

Since he'd snapped at them so many times before.

He bit his lip, trying to convince himself he'd changed. And they knew that.

Right?

"All right then from the top. Mingi, you lead us in."

The practice began and the room filled with music, much more sound than any of them were used to. Though they'd been working together to combine pieces as a band for a few months now, it still felt so new. After all, they'd been bands of only four members for nearly two years. It was a bit of an adjustment.

All of a sudden the noise cut out as Hongjoong set his guitar down and ran to his bag across the room. Everyone watched in confusion until Mingi's drums finally ceased and they could hear the sound of a ringtone.

He was receiving a phone call.

Seonghwa felt a twinge of annoyance. He had always instilled a no-cellphone policy. But it was Hongjoong. So it must be important.

"Hello? This is Kim Hongjoong."

He didn't even know the caller? Why was he so anxious to pick it up?

Seonghwa made eye contact with him and tried to ask with his eyes. But Hongjoong was startled by something mentioned on the other end and quickly stepped out of the practice room.

The rest of the group sat in silence, completely confused.

Wooyoung was the first to speak.

"What was that all about?"

"Do you think something's wrong?" San asked, worried.

"I'm sure it's not that big of a deal," Yunho reassured him but looked to Seonghwa for confirmation.

"You should know Seonghwa. Do you have any idea who he's talking to?" Jongho looked him in the eye and the rest turned.

He felt a bit ashamed to say he had no idea.

Especially since it was his boyfriend and co-leader. He thought he was aware of everything going on in his life.

"It's none of your business. Everyone get back to practice, okay? Hongjoong will return when he's done."

Everyone nodded and turned back to the music and Seonghwa was relieved.

But as they started again, he glanced over at the guitar to his side, sitting in its case.

Who could Hongjoong possibly be talking to?