You weren't supposed to hear that

"WHERE THE HELL IS HIS INHALER?"

The door to the bedroom crashed against the bolt keeping it locked, causing Hongjoong to jump.

Concerned, he raced to the door and unlocked it, and less than a second after it flew open, almost whacking him in the face.

"HONGJOONG WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!"

"Where is—wha—what the fuck are you doing here!?"

"SEONGHWA'S INHALER!"

Hongjoong quickly felt the terror in Minho's voice and he ran to the bathroom to their medicine cabinet and grabbed it.

"What happened!? Wh—"

Minho tore it out of his hand and sprinted out of the room. Hongjoong was too stunned to move but panic took over him and he moved to follow. Minho was much faster so he couldn't keep up but hearing his footsteps he knew he was headed to the roof.

Why did he need Seonghwa's inhaler!? Seonghwa had only ever needed it once in all of the time Hongjoong had known him. So why did he need it now? All of a sudden?

He knew he was furious at him but it didn't seem important at the moment. Not when Seonghwa might be in danger.

He finally made it to the roof and almost fell over at the sight. Seonghwa was lying on the ground, not responding. His face was smeared with blood, his palms and knees battered and scraped. And Minho was trying to get him to breathe through the inhaler.

"SEONGHWA!"

Hongjoong lurched forward, throwing himself towards him, his hands reaching for his chest, for his face, for anything he could feel—anything that could tell him he was still breathing.

But he wasn't sure he felt any air coming in or out of him.

"Give me some fucking space! He needs to breathe!"

Hongjoong didn't want to but he knew he was only crowding him. He backed away but he couldn't stop himself from holding Seonghwa's hand. He wanted to help. To do something. Anything. He didn't even know what had happened. Why was he covered in cuts and bruises!? Why wasn't he breathing!? What the hell did Minho do!?

"This is your fault! Isn't it!? You got into a fight! And you were careless! You knew you would win! You knew he couldn't take you! You fucking asshole!"

"Please! Just let me help him! I'll tell you what happened after I know he's okay!"

"How could you!? All you've ever done is hurt him! You know how sweet he is! How eager he is to help! And you take advantage of it! You're fucking sick! How dare you think you could ever redeem yourself by saving him!? After putting him in danger in the first place!?"

Just then Seonghwa breathed.

Hongjoong flew forward, squeezing Seonghwa's hand.

"Hwa? Hwa? Talk to me! Hwa?"

Seonghwa coughed, almost gagging on the effects of the inhaler. Hongjoong helped him to a seated position, holding his back upright.

"Hwa? Are you okay? Hwa, I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have locked you out of the dorm!"

Seonghwa managed to speak, his voice hoarse.

"You really think Minho could pummel me that bad?"

Hongjoong felt tears spring to his eyes but he laughed, tightening his grip on Seonghwa's hand.

"You weren't supposed to hear that."

"Well I did. And I want you to know that...you're right. But it wasn't his fault. I just got so worked up about him kissing me out of nowhere that...I kind of lost it. I was asking for it. And he didn't know I was afraid of heights so...he didn't know I'd have an anxiety attack. Leave him out of it...okay?"

Hongjoong didn't know what to say. It felt unfair to Seonghwa to leave Minho out of it. Clearly he'd beaten him to a pulp before he ever had an anxiety attack. But Seonghwa seemed serious.

"Okay. Okay. Whatever you want. Hwa...I'm so sorry. If I had just listened...I would have understood."

"No you wouldn't have. I don't blame you. If this dipshit had kissed you I would've done the same thing. It's not your fault. I chose to come up here and chew his head off."

"But if I had let you in—"

"Just because you didn't let me in doesn't mean I couldn't have just stayed level-headed and not sought out a fight. I'm sorry...my temper got the best of me."

"It's okay—I'm just glad you're okay."

Hongjoong reached up and wiped the steaks of tears from Seonghwa's less bloody cheek.

He realized Minho had been awfully quiet since Seonghwa had started talking. He looked up at him but Minho looked away.

Good. He should feel bad.

Hongjoong could be thankful for that. Even if he wasn't allowed to express it verbally.

"Hwa, we should take you to the ER, just to make sure you're okay. I don't want you to start hyperventilating again and pass out on me."

Seonghwa nodded and Hongjoong helped him stand. Minho tried to offer a hand but Hongjoong shot him a glare. He ended up trailing behind them as the made their way to the stairs.

"Do you think you can walk on your own?" Hongjoong asked, looking at Seonghwa's knees.

"Yeah. I'll just hold the railing."

He stepped forward but instantly his legs gave out under him and Hongjoong grabbed him by his armpits.

"Woah! Easy, Hwa. Here, let me carry you."

"No it's okay—it's probably just the lack of oxygen, they just need a moment to—"

Hongjoong had stepped down to the stair in front of him and scooped him onto his back, grabbing onto his legs gently. Seonghwa had no choice but to wrap his arms around Hongjoong's neck.

They started heading down the stairs, Minho following close behind. He offered a few times to carry Seonghwa but Hongjoong insisted he was fine. Seonghwa could feel his loosening grip, not to mention the excessive perspiration on his back, but he didn't say anything. He knew Hongjoong wanted to do this. So he'd let him.

They finally reached the main level and Hongjoong tried to gently set Seonghwa on his feet. Unfortunately, he was pretty tired and his arms gave out, dropping Seonghwa rather roughly. Seonghwa grunted in pain as his knees shot a surge of agony up his legs but he grabbed the railing to support him.

"Fuck—I'm sorry, Hwa!"

"It's fine, it doesn't really hurt that bad," Seonghwa lied, grateful when Hongjoong wrapped his arm under his shoulders for support.

They made their way to the parking lot where Hongjoong left Seonghwa with Minho and ran to grab his car. Thankfully he'd had his keys attached to his ID card.

He pulled around and the other two got in, before heading to the hospital.