Snap - Ch. 20

Hermione stayed in her room for the next few hours. She changed out of her robes into something more comfortable, and sat on the ground with a file. She had owled McGonagall after she entered her room, and McGonagall sent back a file of every Gryffindor repeating their 7th year- making them 8th years. She pulled out each file separately and went through them.

- Harry Potter,
- Ronald Weasley,
- Neville Longbottom,
- Dean Thomas,
- Seamus Finnigan,
- Lavender Brown,
- Parvati Patil

She had crossed off Harry, Ron and Lavender, so there was only 4 options left. Parvati was a must, being the only girl apart from Lavender. She hovered the 3 other records in front of her. She had to pick from Neville, Dean, and Seamus. Neville did pretty well in School but so did Dean and Seamus. It was hard since they were all her friends- she hoped it hadn't changed now. She sighed, running a hand through her hair. Instead she moved onto who Parvati worked best with. She had had an assignment with Seamus once and they fought the whole time, earning themselves a D-Dreadful.

Hermione remembered that Parvati had once dated Dean in 5th year. Her and Lavender talked about it for a week straight. They didn't end things on good terms, they had a nasty fight from what Hermione could make out. She had heard Parvati crying the whole night as Lavender tried to help her.

She glanced over at Neville. His record was clean, and personally, Hermione thought he deserved it. All she had to do was get Draco's approval and she could tell McGonagall. She was about to close the files when she heard a light knock on her door. "Granger, everyone's gone, you can stop being miserable" Draco told. Hermione rolled her eyes as she checked her watch. She had been debating between the 3 for about 3 hours. She got up and opened the door, Parvati and Neville's files in her hand. "Parvati Patil and Neville Longbottom, they have clean records and no negative relationship, nor one like Ron and Lavender"She said, holding out their files.

Draco didn't take them, just staring at her. "You've actually been picking out prefects?"He questioned. Hermione raised an eyebrow at him. "What else would I be doing?"She said. "Granger, Weasley was yelling at you and than you close the portrait in his face and walk to your room without a word. We figured you were having a crying session"He told.

She rolled her eyes, "I'm not an emotional wreck, even if I was, there's no time for crying"She said. She pushed the files into his hand and waited for him to say something. "You just picked Longbottom because of your personal ties"Draco scoffed, opening his file. "Of course not, the 2 other boys I could choose from didn't work. Parvati is the only girl so I had to consider her as well. Dean had a past relationship with her, so they wouldn't work well together, and Seamus and her fight all the time"Hermione explained.

He looked up from the file, smirking at her as he raised an eyebrow. "We fight all the time and McGonagall still chose us"He said. She glared at him, now increasing her options at Prefects. "Fine, you pick between Seamus and Neville"She snapped, levitating Seamus's file off the floor. "No, Patil and Longbottom it is"He told, handing her back the two files. She nodded once, and stacked up the files on top of each other. "I'll owl McGonagall than"She said, entering her room again.

She walked over to her desk, writing a quick note before folding it and attaching it to the files. As she waited for one of the school's owls to appear, she felt someone watching her. She glanced behind her, almost surprised to see Draco still at her doorway, leaning against it as he watched her. "Do you need something?"She questioned. "No"He said simply. "Than why are you still here?"She asked. He didn't answer, and she was distracted as an owl flew over to her window. She attached the files to the owl and watched it fly away.

"Are you coming down for breakfast?"Hermione heard Draco ask as she was cleaning her desk. She looked over, debating it. What was the worst that could happen? "I'll get McGonagall's letter and give out the badges and than I'll go down"She told. He left without another word.