Chapter 34: Mini Project

Start from the beginning

She pulled away and stared down at me, "Starting from now on, it's best not to mention her name infront of me. If you do----" She pursed her lips, "----I'll sulk" With that, she slipped her purse strap over her shoulder and walked away. 

I saw that coming.

She had a totally different type of stubbornness. Why did you keep pretending to be someone you weren't? It only hurted yourself. Hadn't you figure out yet? I was worried about you. I couldn't bear to see you lying on the white bed with tubes all over your body, again. How much longer were you going to put on that mask? I rose to my feet, paid the bill and chased after her. She was about to enter her car. I held her upper arm, stopping her from slippers into the driver seat.

"Let me take you home" I said. She gave me a deadpanned look, "You can't drive, Nayeon. I'll return your car tomorrow," I took off my blazer, draped it around her shoulder and led her to the passenger seat. I had to go here by cab since my car was at the workshop for its maintenance service. I could easily drive my other car but I was already close to this restaurant. I started the car's engine and switched on the heater. I glanced at her, "Stop driving on your own. I'll get a driver for you," she didn't answer and looked out of the window instead. I reached out my hand to buckle her seat belt them drive away.

I stopped the car in front of her condominium building. I turned to her. She was still looking out of the window, her chin propped on the heel of her right hand. My gaze fell on her left hand. I took it gently from her lap and stared at the black arm glove she was wearing, "You haven't done it for years," I mumbled, caressing the back of her palm, "Why did you do it?"

She looked at me and retracted her hand, "It's nothing,"

"Was it because of your mother?" I asked. That old woman had a great influence on her. When, I saw that woman in one the event I had to attend, I was taken aback. I hadn't seen her for more ten years. It was definitely because of her.

Nayeon hang her head down and stared blankly at her fingers, "Chaeyoung," she called then lifted her eyes, "Do you want to run away? Let's leave this place and run away. Leave everything behind. Everything. Let's forget it all and start anew, somewhere, somewhere peaceful, just the two of us"

Her voice...

She meant what she say.

"Why would you want to run away from everything?" I moved closer as the words left my mouth, my tone softening.

She broke out eye contact and looked away, "I didn't necessarily mean it literally. I just meant it's nice to escape sometimes"

She was always proud of herself. Her self esteem would have never allow that. She was never afraid to face challenges ahead, no matter how difficult and painful it was. So, her muttering this words was, unexpected though not surprising, "That's unlike you," I stated, "Escaping won't solve the problem. It will follow you wherever you go. You'll never be truly free from it"

"I know," she sank into her seat and sighed, "Do I not deserve even a break?"

It must really get into her. Whatever the problem was. I gathered her hands in mine. I took the opportunity to study her face while she stared at our adjoining palms. She seemed exhausted. I tapped her hands softly, "All right then, do you want to go on a trip? But now is not the best time. Winter hurts your body. I'll plan for a trip, just the two of us during summer. You can take some fresh air and clear your mind. How about that?"

She didn't reply. Silence grew between us. She was thinking. I couldn't guess what she had in mind because she was looking down. She opened her mouth and spoke, "Is that out of love, pity or your guilty conscience?"