8 Early Pregnancy Symptoms That Feel A Lot Like PMS

Do you ever get the feeling Mother Nature is the ultimate prankster? Case in point: many of the early signs of pregnancy are the same as symptoms you might get when your period is on its way.

Your best bet if you think there's a chance you're pregnant? Wait to see if your period arrives - and do a pregnancy test if it's late - rather than over analyzing every twinge and pain in your body.

That said, if you still want to know the signs that can signal both PMS and pregnancy, here are some to watch for...

1. Sore Breasts

Hormonal changes in early pregnancy can = your breasts getting larger and feeling tender. You may also get a tingling sensation or soreness, especially in your nipples. This is because there's a surge in levels of the hormone progesterone, plus the milk ducts start to grow. But if you're not planning a pregnancy and your boobs are giving you grief, don't panic. Sore breasts are also a really common PMS symptom. But this time, they're linked to hormonal changes that happen before your period. Your best bet? Don't overthink it! Just wait to see if your period arrives as expected - if it does, that nagging doubt (and breast discomfort) should soon disappear.

2. An Upset Stomach

Pregnancy brings an extra helping of the hormone progesterone. While this is vital for a healthy pregnancy, one of its unwelcome side effects is constipation and bloating. But this can also be a sign your period is on the way, because the second phase of your cycle (after ovulation, but before menstruation) also involves elevated levels of progesterone. Again, try to keep your cool. While you wait for your period, drinking lots of water, exercising, and adding more fibre to your diet (think vegetables, fruit, beans, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice) can help ease constipation.

3. Feeling Sick

Ah, morning sickness - that classic pregnancy symptom we've all heard of. Although, the name is something of a misnomer - it can occur at anytime of day (it's just that mornings are the most common).
Once again, hormones are at fault, making 50-90 percent of pregnant women nauseated in their first trimester. But — you guessed it — PMS can also cause nausea. And let's not forget that the lead up to your period can bring headaches, trouble sleeping, and bloating - all of which might leave you feeling queasy. Eating smaller, more frequent meals; sipping on cool drinks; and eating foods that contain ginger might help take the edge off, whatever the cause. And try (we know it's hard!) not to stress while you wait on your period - as that can also upset your stomach. Hello vicious cycle.

4. Abdominal Cramps

This might be a symptom you assume is 100 percent associated with your period, but abdominal cramps - which feel like menstrual cramps - are actually common in early pregnancy too, caused by a fertilized egg implanting in the womb. Either way, acetaminophen (paracetamol) is considered safe during pregnancy, so you can take it to take the edge off the discomfort. If PMS is to blame, your period is likely only around the corner. And remember — there are heaps of reasons for stomach pain, so try not to read too much into them in terms of a potential pregnancy. (Though do get them checked out if they persist or if you have other symptoms you're worried about so you can rule out other health issues).

5. Bleeding

Your period is here ... or is it? Light bleeding can actually occur in early pregnancy — it's called implantation bleeding and happens when the developing embryo attaches to the lining of your uterus. Annoyingly enough, it often occurs at the exact time your period is due. However, any confusion shouldn't last long, since implantation bleeding is usually just light spotting. If the bleeding is heavier, it's probably the beginning of your period. (Although if you've already taken a pregnancy test and it was positive, this could be a sign of miscarriage. So definitely report this to your doctor and get their advice).

6. Funky Food Cravings

We've all heard the stories of people who wanted to munch on ice cubes or eat custard on carrots when they were pregnant. Once again, food cravings are the result of changes in hormone levels in pregnancy. But hankering after certain foods - and a change in appetite - are really common in the run up to your period too. One way you may be able to tell the difference is that pregnancy cravings are usually more distinct. Plus, some pregnant women have cravings for non-food items, like toothpaste, coal, or even soil (this can be a sign of a vitamin deficiency, which is worth getting checked out).
There's also a tendency in pregnancy to be really repulsed by certain types of food - even the smell of them - because your sense of smell can be heightened.

7. Mood Swings

Here's another fun one to mess with your head - quite literally. Your emotions being out of whack is common in the first trimester (three months) off pregnancy ... and it's a symptom of PMS. Naturally, if you're fretting about whether you might be pregnant, that's only going to add to it. If you're feeling low or anxious, try to focus on your health essentials — getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising, spending time with a friend/pet/partner. And remember — worrying about a potential pregnancy won't change the outcome, so try your best to stay calm while you wait for your period.

8. Feeling Rundown

Tiredness or flat-out exhaustion is common in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. But it's also a classic symptom of PMS. But let's be honest — there are heaps of other potential causes for feeling drained too, from the obvious (late nights, working too much, or exercising too hard) to the less obvious (a nutrient deficiency, anxiety, or an underactive thyroid). So really, this isn't a symptom to read too much into in terms of deciding whether you're pregnant. Again, try to keep your cool and wait on that period.
(Although, side note: if you've been feeling tired all the time for more than four weeks, it's worth seeing your doctor just to rule out any other health issues).

** for about two bucks you can find these Ginger Root capsules in the vitamin section of the Walmart or Dollar General stores, it's just ginger root in either a gelatin cap or VegCap. I try to always get the vegcap but I have had the gelatin capsules and they work just as well, they're super affordable and work very well for nausea. I highly suggest buying them especially if you're dealing with this issue. If you're unable to eat it, but the ginger helps you, it's much easier to swallow just one capsule rather than trying to force food down your throat while being nauseated 😷 😩 that's just plain awful 😒 !!

also, let me know below if you've ever watched the show Reba
it's a early 2000s sitcom made by and starring country singer Reba McEntire
so, in an episode of Reba where her teenage daughter (played by JoAnna Garcia Swisher) is battling morning sickness, her boyfriend (played by Steve Howey) asked Reba why there wasn't a cure for morning sickness. and Reba, being her witty self simply said "because men don't get pregnant" and i often just find myself thinking of that.
Reba was definitely before it's time but also was perfect for it's time. it'd probably be considered offensive these days, but it opened a lot of eyes back in its time. I grew up on it. It showed how strong women truly are, that a woman can successfully run her full household and that she's much better off without a man. It shows great strength and amazing humor. it's on Hulu, the entire season, i highly suggest watching it. it's a great laugh :)