Spotting vs. Period vs. Bleeding: Know the Difference

If our bodies worked like clockwork, we'd never be caught off guard by unexpected blood in our underwear. But that's not always how it works.
Whether it's spotting, your period, or any other vaginal bleeding, we decode what your body might be trying to tell you.

Spotting

What It Looks Like

Just as the name suggests, spotting looks like small drops or smears of blood on toilet paper or your underwear. Spotting can manifest in slightly different colours depending on the cause: it ranges from a fresh, bright red — the kind you'd see if you prick your finger — to a darker maroon, signifying the blood is a bit older. You might also notice spotting that's rose pink, which tends to happen when the blood has mixed with discharge.

The main thing that sets spotting apart from any other kind of between-period bleeding is the amount of blood. It's minimal — nothing that would saturate your undies, anyway — meaning you shouldn't need to use a period product. It also generally occurs sporadically, not for days on end.

Why You Have It

There's a whole list of reasons why you might experience spotting, so firstly, it's important to know that it absolutely doesn't mean you should panic. It has some perfectly normal causes, as well as some rarer ones you may need to seek medical attention for.

A common cause of spotting is a change in hormonal birth control. As your body adjusts to a new balance of hormones, it can occasionally result in some shedding of your uterine lining (aka the endometrium), which is what causes the unexpected arrival of a small volume of blood between periods. This shouldn't generally happen after the first three or four months following a switch of contraception, unless you are using a hormonal IUD or arm implant — with these, unscheduled spotting can happen and is not a cause for concern. If it persists, it could mean the birth control isn't the best fit for you or that there may be a different cause. It's also a sign to see your health care provider.

Another reason for spotting may be a regular change in your natural hormones. A small study in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that around 5 percent of menstruators experience ovulation bleeding. The release of an egg from an ovary is accompanied by a fluctuation in hormones that may in turn cause some endometrium to shed. Generally, but not always, ovulation bleeding is light pink in colour since it's mixed with cervical fluid.

Cervical ectropion — a condition which might sound scary but is totally harmless and actually pretty common — is another reason for spotting outside of your period. This condition causes cells from inside the cervical canal to grow onto the outside of the cervix, and if these cells get jabbed during sex, exercise, or a PAP smear, it can cause a bit of bleeding from time to time. On a side note, if you do notice bleeding after sex, you should see your health care provider to get to the bottom of it to make sure it isn't something else like an infection.

Finally, spotting may be a sign of pregnancy. In the very early stages of pregnancy, around 15-25 percent of people will notice some light spotting, known as implantation bleeding. This happens 10-14 days after conception (right around when you would expect your period), often making it one of the first symptoms of pregnancy.

What To Do About It

More often than not, spotting doesn't mean anything serious. But if you notice some spots of blood and you have no obvious explanation for it, it's always worth going to get it checked out. The best thing to ask yourself is: Am I worried? If it's causing you concern, see a medical practitioner.

Period

What It Looks Like

You're most likely already pretty in touch with what your period looks like — you're the one that has it, after all. But there's no harm in making sure everybody really knows their period and what is and isn't to be expected, right?