Period Blood Colours: A Complete Overview

Your period can offer a lot of information about your reproductive and general health. Signs like the duration of your period, the heaviness of the flow, and the symptoms that accompany your menstruation can indicate that all is well — or that you might need to seek medical advice.

What Affects The Colour of Period Blood

For most women, menstruation consists of 2-3 days of heavy blood flow followed by another 2-4 days of lighter flow. The menstrual flow from the vagina is a mixture of blood and tissue from the inner lining of the uterus.

How much blood is lost during each period varies widely from person to person; it can be as little as 4 tablespoons of as much as 12 tablespoons. During the average period, about 30-50 milliliters of blood is lost — though losing up to 80 milliliters is still considered normal.

There are a variety of factors that affect the colour of menstrual blood, including hormonal activity, the age of the blood, and infection. It's worthwhile to understand the different ways that period blood can present and what this may indicate about your health.

Bright Red Period Blood

At the start of your period, you can expect the blood to be bright red. During this phase of the cycle, the lining of your uterus is being shed at a rapid rate, and you'll likely experience some menstrual cramps. This pain in the abdomen is the result of an increase in the production of prostaglandins, which causes the smooth muscle in the uterus to contact.

Menstrual cramping, or period pain, is a common symptom for many women and is usually nothing to worry about. It can usually be treated with a hot water bottle over your abdomen or over-the-counter pain medications. If you opt for medications, you can buy a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) life ibuprofen from your local drug store or supermarket.

In some cases, an intense flow of bright red blood can be an indication of miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, submucosal fibroid, endometrial or cervical polyp, endometrial or cervical cancer, or an ovarian cyst.

If you have any concerns about menstrual symptoms or your general health, seek advice from a trusted healthcare professional, as they are in the best position to assess your circumstances and offer the most suitable range of treatment options.

Dark Red Period Blood

On average, the menstrual cycle lasts about four weeks from the first day of bleeding to the start of the next period. Over the course of this cycle, hormones rise and fall during different phases, resulting in some of the signs and symptoms that you may notice each month.

When your periods start, the blood is bright red in appearance, but later in the cycle the colour shifts to a dark red. This change in colour is completely normal and can be partially attributed to rising estrogen levels in your blood. Dark blood has been in your body longer than bright blood, for instance as the result of a thicker uterine lining or a reduced rate of shedding.

Pink Period Blood

Shortly before menstruation is due to start, some women notice light red or pink spotting in their underwear. The colour of this discharge is explained easily: a small amount of blood mixed with cervical mucus, which results in pink spotting. This spotting can be a sign of estrogen and progesterone levels decreasing at the end of the cycle and is usually of no concern.

Abnormal hormone activity can be responsible for a range of symptoms in later life, including irregular periods and vaginal dryness, so it's important to alert your healthcare provider if you have any concerns. They will be able to advice you about the available treatment options.

Brown or Black Period Blood

Menstrual blood changes over the course of your period, so brown or black period blood shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Period blood starts off bright red, but becomes darker as it remains in the body for longer. At the end of the cycle, you may see brown or even black blood on a sanitary pad or tampon.

How does red blood become brown or black? Old blood becomes darker the longer it stays outside of blood vessels. When blood comes into contact when air, it goes through a process called oxidation. As the hemoglobin and iron in your blood interact with the air, your blood turns brown.

There are several reasons why blood or uterine tissue may remain in your body for a longer time. It may be that the last remnants of old uterine tissue from a previous cycle are finally being discharged. Or it could be that you're among the many women who shed their uterine lining at a slower rate than the majority of the population. This slower shedding is absolutely normal.

Other Possible Period Blood Colours

Even if you're well educated about the many different colours of period blood, you may still be alarmed to find an orange shade in your underwear or on a sanitary product.

Before you start to worry, check the consistency of the fluid between two finger — it should be slippery if normal, but if you feel a tackiness or if there's also a bad smell, it could indicate an STI. In such cases, it's best to seek your doctors advice as soon as possible.

Clots in Menstrual Blood

Having clots in your menstrual blood is perfectly normal if they are not bigger than a quarter, particularly during the later stages of your period. This is the result of an increase in the activity of platelets in your bloodstream.

At the same time, excessive blood clotting can be a sign of heavy menstrual bleeding (HMB) or another medical condition. If this becomes a concern, you may need to see your healthcare provider.