Endometriosis Treatment Options and Their Benefits

Common methods of treating the symptoms of endometriosis are intended to reduce the symptoms and to eliminate the causes of pain. Treatment may involve non-invasive and surgical methods, depending on how severe symptoms are.

These are standard treatment options:

Pain medication can reduce the pain associated with endometriosis. However, it does not treat the source of pain. These drugs are widely used, but it is important to remember that, like any drug, they do carry the possibility of side effects. It may be useful to consult your health care provider before using them.

Hormonal treatment works by suppressing endometrial growth, and it can reduce endometriosis-related pain. Hormonal treatment includes a wide range of options, such as hormonal birth control, progestogens, anti-progestins, or GnRH agonists and antagonists. Some of these affect ovulation while taken. Ask about this temporary effect if pregnancy is in your immediate plans. If this is not the case then hormonal therapy is usually the first therapy.

Surgical management can eliminate endometriotic foci (areas of endometrial tissue outside the uterus) and restore pelvic anatomy, which may have been damaged by inflammation. This can have a significant impact on pain. Generally, this is done via laparoscopy, which has a quicker recovery time then open surgery. Laparoscopy also causes less pain, requires a shorter hospital stay, and leaves a much smaller scar on the skin. Hormonal treatment is usually prescribed after the surgery to prevent recurrence of the disease if the women does not wish to conceive soon after.

Nutritional supplements and alternative medicine are also used sometimes for the treatment of endometriosis-associated pain. At the moment, there is not enough research to prove the effectiveness of these methods. However, people who seek complementary and alternative medicine may feel positive results.

Treatment of endometriosis may seem challenging. But you can always discuss different options with your health care provider to find the one that works best for you and suits your life plans.