title too long

Are Secretions Released During Arousal and Abundant Vaginal Discharge the Same Thing?

The main function of vaginal discharge is to keep the vagina healthy inside. Like any mucous membrane, it requires constant moisturizing to ensure comfort and protection. Most of this discharge is produced by the glands of the cervix and is called cervical mucus.

Throughout the menstrual cycle, the amount of cervical mucus varies, depending on your estrogen levels. But even at peak times just before and around ovulation, there may not be enough fluid within the  vagina for comfortable intercourse.

Vaginal lubrication makes penetration easier and reduces friction during intercourse, making it more enjoyable. Normal vaginal discharge is part of natural lubrication, but there are other processes that provide additional moisture.

During sexual arousal and intercourse, the amount of fluid within the vagina increases. The blood vessels within the vaginal area widen and become filled with a large amount of blood. As a result, some of the fluid from the vessels enters the vaginal canal.

During arousal, discharge is also produced by the Bartholin's glands (located close to the entrance of the vagina) and Skene's glands (located behind the urethra).

The volume of vaginal fluid varies for every woman and depends on the menstrual cycle phase.