CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

1919, Small Heath, Birmingham

It was the morning of the Cheltenham races, John and Tessa's house of course was as noisy as it could be. Tessa trying to get the kids fed and dressed for the day, while John walked around the place not helping at all to busy smoking on his pipe.

"I'm ready" James shouted out from his lungs, screaming the house down. Tessa snapped her head in his direction from her seat at the kitchen table.

She was getting mad now, the kids had lately been getting on her nerves not listening to what she told them to do.

"This is not funny anymore James Shelby ... you go back up stairs and put on your pants, nó beidh trioblóid ann" (or there will be trouble)

She leaned back in her chair, smoking on her cigarette to ease the stress "I'll be gone for a few hours at the race, we can go to the Garrison when I get back and some of the others if they want" John said from the seat across from Tessa.

She heard what he had said to her, but Tessa was in her own world this morning. She had invited Lizzie over to the house to explain and basically lie about what happened to her brother, to stop her from actually finding out the truth.

"Tessa" John spoke again, getting her attention she looked over at him "Umm ... yeah, let's do that"

"Are you alright?" He questioned his wife. Tessa stood from her seat and walked around the other side of the table.

She put on a fake smile "I'm fine" Kissing the top of his head. Standing behind Katie sat down finishing off her meal.

"Finish off your food, and go upstairs and put your shoes on" Katie nodded her head jumping from her seat and running out of the kitchen.

"And tell your brothers to hurry up, you three of you are going to spend the day with Anna" She shouted to Katie to follow her instructions.

The front door was heard being opened, Finn walking in to meet the two. Tessa smiled at the young lad.

"Alright Finn?" Tessa looked over at him.

"Arthur's outside, waiting in the truck" Finn said looking at John, while leaning against the doorframe of the kitchen.

John stood up, putting his hat on his head "Come on then, let's go" While pushing Finn out of the house by the shoulders.

Tessa followed them out, standing against the front door looking out at the truck in front of her house.

"What ya think of this fine beauty, Tess?" Arthur shouted from the driver seat, gesturing to the truck he was sitting in.

Tessa folded her hands over her chest, looking at the truck quickly and back at Arthur "It suits you, Arthur"

Arthur chuckled, throwing the bud of his cigarette to the floor below the truck door. Tessa could feel William tugging at her dress, looking down at him as he held out his arms to her. Pulling him up into her arms, holding him on her hip the two looked out watching Arthur pull away from the house.

"Bye dad" William shouted out to John, waving. John held his hand up to his son, watching him till he couldn't see him anymore.

Turning back around in the house, William questioned his mother "Why does Finn get to go with dad?"