Chapter 31

Eleanor understood the Plain-walker's shadowed eyes, and sudden acceptance of her plan, just from that one statement he had uttered. 

Mannix was taking her place. 

"N...No!" 

However, the process had already begun. Mannix extended his arms towards the horde of Shadow Creatures waiting outside the forcefield, and let the blue magic, that was stored within him, loose. 

A beam of blue and white energy pulsed as it hit the shield, and screeches filled the open air as shadow creatures dispersed into nothing one by one. 

Mannix felt pain course through him, and he forced his eyes down. His forearms were sporting glowing white cracks  that branched out like a tree. 

The process was taking him away from this world bit by bit. 

Elizabeth's eyes were overflowing with tears, and she turned her head away not being able to bear to watch her brother make the sacrifice, but by doing so she had left Eleanor the opportunity to escape her grasp. 

"Princess Eleanor!" she shouted, but it was too late; the Princess was already out of reach, sprinting towards Mannix. 

Eleanor grabbed one of Mannix's extended hands when she was in range, causing the beam to course through her, and come out her free hand, which was already pointed towards the force-filed. 

However, when the beam was released for the second time, it seemed more powerful, and with more energy. 

"Ellie, what are you doing?" Mannix questioned, over the thudding pulse. 

"Giving you more power!" Eleanor shouted back, looking defiantly at him. 

"This isn't going to keep from go-" 

"I know! At least let me be with you, okay?!" 

Mannix saw the trails of tears on Eleanor's scarred cheek, and he smiled softly. If she wanted to be with him in his last moments here, so be it. 

"Okay," was all that escaped from his lips. 

Eleanor nodded tensely, and forced her sight back on the shield. 

Grimhill's scarred figure was on the other side of the beam, his forces already vanquished, but he was slowing slipping away from this world as well. 

"You ready?" Mannix asked. 

Eleanor nodded once more and said, "Finish it." 

Mannix took one more look at the world he was leaving, the faces of the soldiers he probably would never see again, and the broken expression of the little sister he was abandoning... again. 

"Elizabeth!" he called. 

The female Plain-walker looked up solemnly  as her eyes met her brother's, most likely for the last time. 

"Take care of Eleanor while I'm gone!" he told her. Elizabeth's expression strengthened, and she nodded. 

Once getting his sister's answer, Mannix turned to Eleanor, and with his free hand, he clasped onto her hand causing the energy beam to cease, and the world go quiet. 

"Eleanor," he said softly. "I'll find a way back, I promise." 

"You better." 

That answer, that simple spoken sentence was the permission he needed, the one he had been waiting for since he decided to take the Princess's place. 

Solemnly, Mannix smiled as he felt himself fade away. 

"Time to let go....Ellie darling." 

When those words were spoken, there was a flash of light, and Grimhill's final screech was released into the air. 

Silence, and pure white was all the Princess could hear and see.

"Eleanor," she looked up, and saw him smiling kindly down at her. There were cracks branching up his face. 

"Be strong, we'll meet again." 

"I know we will." Eleanor hugged Mannix, though it was like hugging a ghost. 

"I love you Eleanor." 

"I love you too Mannix." 

Then...he was gone. He had faded from Eleanor's arms, and left her hugging herself within the white void, but when the Princess opened her eyes back up, she was standing on the battle-field. 

Around her, fallen soldiers -including the Captain- lay on the dirt, surrounded by their still living comrades either mourning, or staring in shock about what had occurred. 

"Princess?" Eleanor turned her head slightly, and saw Elizabeth standing behind her. 

"Do you believe he'll be back?" Eleanor asked sorrowfully. 

"If I know anything about Mannix, he enjoys doing the impossible." Elizabeth responded putting a motherly hand on her shoulder. 

Eleanor looked at the spot where she had seen Mannix before turning around, and saying, "Let's go home, and start repairing this kingdom." 

Eleanor and Elizabeth started walking back; that's when the Princess saw it: the outline, of what appeared to be the hilt of a sword, engraved into the dirt. 

"Elizabeth," Eleanor caught the attention of the Plain-walker. Elizabeth followed the Princess's gaze and smirked proudly. 

"Until we meet again Mannix, either in life or in death." she thought to herself. 

A/N: One more chapter; the Epilogue. Stay tuned. Theories? Feedback is appreciated.