Chapter 19

Soldiers were posted on the city walls, cannon-balls ready to launch on the coming horde. Mannix and Elizabeth stood at the gate outside the city walls with an army of soldiers armed, and ready to die for their kingdom. 

Nothing was a mist at first glance on the brown plains that were spread out before them, but everyone knew that there was darkness on the horizon for Kririn if they lost  this battle. 

"Not really how I pictured my final day." Elizabeth smirked. 

"Don't say things like that; our fate is not set in stone yet." Mannix tried reassuring his sister. 

Elizabeth let out a sigh, and decided not to say anything back. She then spotted a dust cloud on the horizon. "They're here," she muttered, clutching her throwing knives. 

At the same time, Mannix ignited his sword and the purple light illuminated off the dirt below him. 

"Soldiers at the ready!"  Elizabeth shouted; behind her, dozens of knights gave out a battle shout, and the sound of shields being readied echoed throughout the open atmosphere. 

The dust cloud turned black, as it soared closer, and Mannix's grip grew tighter around the rusted hilt when he saw Grimhill on a shadow stallion, and a still mind-controlled Eleanor placed behind  him. 

"You are her protector now; I trust you to care for her like I did, but better." Rose's dying words made their way into Mannix's mind, and a surge of determination aroused in the Plain-walker. 

"I promise..." Mannix muttered to himself absent minded. Elizabeth heard her brother's statement, but one look of Mannix's fierce eyes told her not to ask, that it was personal. 

The horde drew near, and the soldiers in front of the city wall could see their enemy's deadly red eyes. 

"Elizabeth lead the soldiers into battle against the shadow creatures. I'm going to retrieve Eleanor."  Mannix exclaimed. 

"Well that's stupid. With Eleanor under Grimhill's control, you don't know how powerful she could be!" Elizabeth protested. 

"I admit it, it's stupid, but I have no choice in the matter." the male Plain-walker argued back. The ground started to shake beneath their feet. 

"Are you going to do as I say, Liz?" Mannix asked, knowing they couldn't waste anymore time arguing. 

A sigh escaped Elizabeth lips before she said, "See you when I see you." 

Mannix smiled, knowing that that was a "yes," and turned to the horde of shadow creatures. 

"CHARGE!" 

At the order, the soldiers gave another mighty roar, before storming toward they're enemies. 

In moments, the once peaceful plain that was still and quiet transformed  into a thundering battle-field. 

A/N: Just a small hype up chapter to get you pumped up for the coming fight. Did you like? Theories? Feedback is appreciated!!