Chapter 16

By the time dawn broke over the east horizon, Mannix was still unconscious on the cave floor. 

His even inhales and exhales were the only noise filling the mouth of the cave; for his mind, was occupied with thoughts and memories from his dread past.  

_*_

17 years ago...

"Grace, have you seen Olivia?" Mannix asked, as he made his way into the kitchen area where his wife was putting dinner plates back into the cabinets. 

"I think she's playing in the back yard." Grace answered, casting a quick glance over her shoulder. 

Mannix strolled to the back entrance of the cabin, and scanned the flower checkered yard; his daughter was nowhere to be seen. 

"Livvy!" he shouted, taking a few steps from the door. A muffled giggle came from behind some bushes, and Mannix smiled to himself. 

"I wonder where Olivia went?" he started to say, playing along with his daughter's shenanigans. Another muffled giggle broke through the brush, and Mannix crept closer, keeping his footsteps quiet. 

When he got close enough, Mannix  pushed  apart the brush, and snatched Olivia off the ground. The plain-walker's daughter let out a playful yelp, as they both tumbled to the grass. 

"Stop!" Olivia laughed, as her father tickled her. 

Mannix let out a chuckle, before saying, "C'mon, time to go in. You do want your dessert, don't you?" 

Olivia perked up at the word "dessert," and nodded excitedly. 

"Alright then, come on." Mannix said, taking his daughter's hand and leading her inside. 

Mannix, Grace, and Olivia were sitting around the table chatting in between taking bites of pie when a knock sounded at the door. 

"We weren't expecting anyone, were we?" Mannix exclaimed, while standing from the table. 

Grace shrugged her shoulders, and Mannix went to answer the door. The Captain of Kririn's Guard was the face that greeted him. 

"Good evening, Captain Andrew. Can I help you?" Mannix said, raising his eyebrow. 

"You have been summoned to the castle. The King requests your presence." The Captain reported. 

"On what matter?" Mannix questioned in response. 

"I'm sorry sir, but the King wishes to tell you in private and personally." Captain Andrew answered, his face blank with emotion. 

"Tell the king I shall arrive shortly." Mannix told him. 

Andrew nodded, saluted to the plain-walker, and returned to his stallion to travel back to the capital city. 

Mannix shut the door before the soldier disappeared, walked back to the dining room, and called Grace into a sperate room to talk things over. 

"Mannix, it's just for a day or two. Why do you think you can't go to the castle?" his wife asked, after he finished explaining the situation. 

"Darling, I can't be the only one that's been sensing the coming darkness." Mannix muttered, keeping his voice low so he wouldn't upset his daughter. 

Grace looked down at her balled up hands, before gazing back up at her husband. 

"There is a war, coming, Grace." Mannix exclaimed. He quickly glanced towards the kitchen to make sure Olivia hadn't heard the exclamation; luckily, she was still happily eating pie.