Chapter 7

Eleanor paced the room for her mother to get home. 

Creak!

Slam!

At the sound of the front door opening and closing, Eleanor bounded downstairs expecting Rose, but found Mannix waiting for her instead. 

She stared at the man standing in the middle of the kitchen, and said, "You're not my mom." 

"No Ellie, I am no Rose, but I am here to do something that dear Rose could never do," Mannix explained to Eleanor as he walked toward her. 

Eleanor, not taking her eyes off, of Mannix backed up to the counter-top, and gripped onto a kitchen knife. 

"What would that be?" she asked, as Mannix drew closer. 

His answer was plain and simple: "Reveal the truth." 

It was when those words hit her ears that Eleanor took action and swung the knife from behind her back. However, Mannix grabbed Eleanor's forearm, and grumbled, "What is it with you guys and kitchen knives?" 

He smacked the knife out of Eleanor's hands sending it clinging to the floor, before pushing her back at the counter-top. 

Not seeing anything else to defend herself with, Eleanor spat, "How'd you know my mom's name?" 

"We go back a way's, but if you want the full story, ask her." Mannix responded. 

"Are you one of those shadow guys I saw earlier?" Eleanor continued to question; her breathing was growing more panicked but her curiosity had been sparked. 

"Not even close to those creatures, in fact I sa-" 

"Mannix, step away from Eleanor!" Rose cut him off. 

"Nice of you to join us, Rose." Mannix exclaimed with an unfazed smirk. 

"Mom, what's going on?" Eleanor asked, clutching tightly to the edge of the counter top. 

I'll explain everything." Rose answered, putting her hands out in a pleading gesture. 

Mannix gave a small chuckle, before saying, "Will you Rose, or are you going to lie to her like you've been doing for her entire life-time?" 

Eleanor looked at her mother: what did he mean lie? 

Rose stared daggers into Mannix, and said, "I will, just give us a few minutes." 

"As you wish," Mannix disappeared into a spiral of black smoke leaving Eleanor and Rose in silence. 

"Mom, what just happened?" Eleanor asked, still in shock and terror. 

"Sit down, Ellie, I'll explain everything, but you have to listen carefully to all the things I tell you." Rose answered, gesturing to the dining room chairs. 

_*_

So, Mannix is a plain-walker and he can travel between 'dimensions'?" Eleanor asked, once the full story was told. 

Eleanor's gaze couldn't reach Rose's; the woman that she trusted the most had lied to her her entire life.

"Yes, armies of shadow creatures were raiding the castle, and my mother paid Mannix to bring us here and keep us safe." Rose explained further. 

Eleanor chocked back tears as she muttered, "An you're not my real mother?" As she asked that, Eleanor forced herself to look at the woman she called "Mother" for 16 years. 

"No I am not, darling, I'm sorry, but your real parents were both killed in the raid." Rose had to force out the words out of her mouth. 

Eleanor nodded, wiped away a few tears, and exclaimed, "I need some time." before rushing up to her room, and shutting the door. 

In her bed-room, Eleanor slumped onto the bed, and let a few tears slip down and make trails on her cheek. 

She was a princess, but not just any princess; a princess with powers?!

How was she of all people supposed to save a kingdom she knew nothing about? 

As these thoughts plagued Eleanor's mind, a small whisper broke the silence. 

"Eleanor..." this voice wasn't the sickly call that had tormented her before; it sounded  almost... motherly. 

Eleanor turned her head to the door, and stood up from the bed to listen for the voice.

"Eleanor..." 

A/N: The truth has finally been revealed! I hope that was worth the wait. Theories? Feedback always appreciated.