Ch 7 Collateral Damage

At lunch Erica Lionheart received one of the many paper airplanes that were flying around, landing in the hands of the older witches. It had CONFIDENTIAL written on the outside. Erica read it, her face paling as she took in the implications and showed it to James.

"What did Professor McGonagall mean when she talked about witches being late?" James asked Erica after lunch.

"You know witches have a period every month," Erica told James.

"It says that in the letter. I know the basics of reproduction," James confirmed, squirming uncomfortable at the mention of something so personal. "I think."

"Do you remember what we did three weeks ago?" Erica asked.

"Not really," James replied. "I know we snogged, and more, but I don't remember, I don't remember. I would think you would if you did it but that morning is foggy!"

"I don't think you can do it accidently," Erica thought. "We had better check, though."

"Why we... specifically, the note only says you?" James wondered.

"I assume if I am pregnant, you are the father, although I really don't think I could be. Except. I just don't know."

"Boggarts! James exclaimed. "I hope this doesn't mess with buying the Cannons."

"What about ME!" Erica exclaimed, hitting him in the shoulder... Hard! "It is sure going to mess with my ability to play." She sniffed, obviously very upset. "Pregnant witches don't get to play!"

James took Erica's hand, and they joined a reasonably large group heading towards the infirmary.

*

"I think we are the only fifth year students here," Ginny Wang whispered, gripping the paper airplane so tightly it was like she was trying to destroy it.

"You are sure?" Jesus wondered. Ginny had shown him the memo, and he was close to being terrified as well.

"I'm not sure of anything except that I've been very regular the last year and a half, and I have felt a little sick in the morning the last few days," Ginny replied.

"And you are late, like it hasn't started yet?" Jesus persisted.

"I'm late, and I feel a little different," Ginny admitted. "Maybe it is nothing, but we had better check.

"I'd better not be, though. We are only in fifth year, and, if I am, this could be very bad."

*

Flower Sprout and Emily Macmillan nervously stood together in line, holding hands to comfort each other.

"I don't think anything can happen accidently, can it?" Flower wondered.

"Saturday was a strange day," Emily countered.

"Really strange, and I ought to be able to remember more," Flower thought.

*

"You are sure you want me to come with you?" Charles Koizumi asked Patricia Lee as he took in the others nervously standing in line.

"You might as well," Patricia replied. "Everyone already considers us a couple."

"It is still embarrassing," Charles huffed. Reading that memo reminded him of everything he didn't want to be.

"Grow up!" Patricia exclaimed, turning from him and crossing her arms in frustration.

*

Helena Rosier and Annabella Bulstrode stood in line together, their heads close to each other so they could speak softly.