20

Blood from Jospehine's neck stained my garments as the Claymore from my hand slit her throat. I dash forward after finishing Josephine but that single thought alone brought me to my knees as I watch her blood empty her body.

The others hurriedly jump to me but I was already blinded by my determination not to allow any undead to wipe off my efforts into keeping myself alive as I seek for the truth that was now in my hands. 

I slash them open, tearing every ligament and vein apart. Making blood cause dominance in the room. The fact that I was killing the servants who welcomed me to comfort began to block my mind.

It's them. My thoughts convey but my heart speaks for the other. They're gone. It's not them. After finishing them one by one, I looked into their corpses and have seen blood in their eyes. Worms beneath their skin signifying their death before they could turn and change.

My tears gather at the corner of my eyes, reminiscing the past memory from last night where I could still see them smiling to their ears. Talking about their dreams while eating supper. I bit my lips, not letting my tears roll down to my cheeks.

It was as if the mood was dipped in blood, the dawn has not yet broken itself to reveal daylight but such tragedy has already occurred. I covered their corpses with the blankets that they used to apply to their freezing bodies in the cold night. 

"Rest well, girls," I say, before lighting their corpses into flame.

I stood before them and watched the fire take charge. The Claymore from my hand disappeared. I offered a prayer to their souls, hoping that they would be given eternal rest. Right before I could think of going out to tell Ran what happened, something shined from the corner greeting my eyes.

My body moved to the side to see what it is. Only to find out a glass plate by the floor, being shined on the moonlight. I pushed my lips to the side and made sure that the fire wouldn't spread to the wooden bunks.

I picked up the plate and watched my reflection from it. I blinked twice when something flashed inside my head. Plate. Food. My brow raised as soon as my mind registered something. It's the food. The food from last night.

I remembered myself vomiting after taking in the odd smell from the meat that was given by the King's cuisine. The plate broke into countless pieces of glass as my realization allowed me to let my fingers turn numb from the sudden revelation I envisioned in my head.

My eyes find the burning bodies of my innocent and powerless companions. Skin turning to ash and bodies molding to bones. Such ignorance, it's too early for them to go. Tears escape from my eyes as I see the smoke from the fire that crumbed their bones. 

"Why?" I question. The only word that I could speak, asking every domain of this country's governance as to how they could kill people's dreams in such a way of letting them eat flesh from the undead.

Josephine and the others were not given the chance to see the beauty this world could give. I know, none of them was to blame. I bit my lips harder as I stand on my two feet, allowing the anger to dry my tears down.