Five.

October 27th, 1989
Dallas, Texas

Omniscient

Amira paces back and forth as she listens to her father speak on the other end of the line. She quietly listens to him go on and on about his day and whatever excuses he would make for not reaching out like he should. It was something that she unfortunately used to.

Her relationship with her father was complicated, but not as complicated as her relationship she had with her mother. After her parents' divorce, Amira lost both of them. She went from seeing her father every weekend, to every few weeks, and now maybe one or twice a year. The day he stopped showing up for her, was the day that Amira stopped caring.

She still somewhat longed for a relationship with her father but he was too wrapped up in himself to show that he cared. Same with her mother, who sometimes couldn't bear to look at her because she reminded her so much of her ex husband. Who she hated by the way.

"So I'll see you in New York in a month or so? Maybe we can have dinner afterwards? Just me, you, and your sisters?" William says through the phone.

Amira nods, not trusting a single word that escaped his mouth. "Yeah sure dad."

William could detect a change in Amira's tone and cleared his throat. "Listen Amira." He starts. "I know that I'm not the perfect father. That doesn't mean that I don't love you. Okay? I promise we'll see each other soon."

Amira made a face as if he could see her and peeked out the window. Dani, Shay, and Gina were currently chilling down by the hotel pool waiting for her.

"Yeah. I love you too dad. Look, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later." She says cutting their conversation short and hanging up the phone.

Amira slips into her heels and grabs her towel from the bed before heading out of her room and downstairs. She stepped outside and made her way over to where the girls were sitting.

"Who wears a five hundred dollar pair of heels down to the pool?" Gina asks looking at her as she strutted by in a pair of Versace pumps.

Amira sits down on a chair and crosses her legs. "Me. Duh."

"Anyways, how are things with Dre?" Dani asks Gina, leaning back onto her chair. Gina smirks and bites her lip. Before she could speak Shay interrupts. "Screwing up a storm!" She says teasingly.

Gina hits her shoulder and shushes her. "Shay why you being so loud? I don't want the whole world to know my business."

"I didn't know it was a secret." Amira says with her eyebrow raised. "If so, you two aren't doing a very good job of keeping things under wraps. You need to do better."

"Just like everybody knows about you and Eazy?" Gina shot back with a smirk upon her face.

"I've explained a million times that Eric and I agreed to be friends. I ain't interested in anything else."

"Seems to me like he's trying to do more than that." Danielle says from behind her a magazine.

Amira looks across the way and at Eric who was preoccupied with a game dominoes with the boys.

For the past few weeks, Amira found that she and Eric had been immersed in conversation more often than they'd previously been. She figured that the best way to get to know him was to talk to him. Maybe if she understand where he came from, she could gain an understanding of who he truly was.