Chapter 5: Simple

(Before someone calls me out for the spider-man parallel, I have one thing to say. It's my fanfic and I can do what I want. I did all that research on artificial silk and goddamn it I am going to use it. Also this is a slight filler chapter, but it serves a purpose to segway into the next arc-ish. Also I think my school exams have finally clamed down so, while I do say this a lot, expect more updates in a shorter time frame.).

When I jumped, the sound and feeling of rushing air was the only thing on my mind. At least until I started to think about a few things. The main thing on my mind was why I was so fixated on being a hero. In truth, all I ever wanted to do was help and save people, but being a hero never interested me. The fighting, the costumes, and the quirks meant nothing to me. Sure they were cool and all but I could help and save people by being a weak doctor. I could save the people who save the people. However, I felt like I needed to be a hero, and in a way I did. Not just for Inko and Toshinori, but for me. To save people like how I wanted to be saved but to also feel like my life had a purpose. Then I realized that if I became a hero out of all the things I wrote on previously, I would be just as bad as Toya's father. Then this had me thinking about Toya. He seemed so full of life, but inside he was hurting. He was hurt so bad he felt the need to prove himself to his father, and he overtrained himself. He was burned to death by his need to prove himself, both figuratively and literally. In the end, he died accomplishing nothing.

This had me thinking of the meaning of life and thinking of what the teen from the funeral said. He said life had no meaning if it wasn't eternal, but I refused to believe that. I refused to believe that no matter what I accomplish it was for naught. I decided to find meaning in life for myself. I decided to stay alive.

With newfound vigor, I steadied myself as much as I could and shot a pair of webs to the top of the building. The webs stretched like bungee cords and as it brought me back up, again like bungee cords, I cut off the web line. Then I shot another web to the top of a slightly lower building, and as I fell my momentum caused me to swing. When I was about to reach the highest point, I let go and I continue to go upwards.  When I started to fall again I shot another web to the edge of a building and repeated the process. From then on I started to do the math and Pendulum Physics necessary to make sure I swung successfully in the back of my head.

It is a good thing I did because if I didn't swinging would have been much less enjoyable and more life-threatening. The feeling of the rushing air, the speed, and the adrenaline was amazing. It was like when I ran but times 100. I felt free. However, the feeling was cut off about halfway back to the mansion when the web-shooters ran out. "SHIIIIII," I screamed out as I replaced them. I took both of them out with 1 hand, took 2 out with the other hand, put the empty ones in the belt, and put in the new ones. Then I shot the webs and continued to the mansion, while I thought, 'That was a little close for comfort.' I started to swing to the mansion, but I eventually had to stop because there was no place where my webbing could attach to. I continued the rest of the way by running. However, the change from the adrenaline of being hundreds of feet in the air was a little jarring.

Anyways when I walked in, I sneaked into the basement and started to work on a personal project. Not from 'Project: Eclipse' but from my own mind. It was a sphere the size of a baseball that is filled with a chemical mixture on the inside that expands and solidifies. It would also be flame-retardant and could be used to escape things like forest fires. If this didn't work I would try to make fire extinguisher bombs. Like fire extinguisher balls from the early 21st century, but mine would be on a much larger and stronger scale. Instead of a radius of about a yard, it would be a radius of 10 yards. However, I much preferred the original idea because sodium bicarbonate only reduces the fire and the victim could still get severely burned. My idea could give the victim more of an opportunity to get out unharmed because of the pathway that is fire retardent. The fire won't continue to spread to them.