084. ꕥ The Battle Within

After hearing how Monty's Father died by saving four kids, my heart was in my stomach, and it couldn't ache any more than it already did for Monty. His Father had died trying to save the fifth kid; that's when Ice Nation got him. The whole time Hannah and then Pike told what happened; there was a lump in my throat I couldn't swallow.

And after Pike claimed that all Grounders were the same was when I moved over to sit next to Bellamy on a rock closest to the cave entrance. Bellamy was antsy; he hated sitting here and waiting — I could tell. He could barely go five minutes without bouncing his leg or fiddling with his hands. When he started to play with his hands yet again, I reached over and took one of them to stop his fidgeting.

"It's going to be okay." My voice was barely above a whisper as I started to rub my thumb over the back of Bellamy's hand. "We'll get her back."

"I hope your right." He murmured before turning to face me.

"Hey," When Bellamy tried to move his head back to looking through the cave, I put two fingers under his chin to make him turn back to me. "don't shut down on me. If you need to talk, talk."

Bellamy's lips parted as though he was going to say something, but he didn't as his eyes stayed on mine. After what felt like an eternity, he slowly leaned his head forward, so his forehead connected with mine before he spoke quietly. "I'm okay. I promise."

A small smile pegged at my lips, and I wasn't sure the reason behind it; being around Bellamy just sparked a smile in me. As I released my grip from Bellamy's hand and got up from my sitting position, I said, "I'm going to go check on Monty. You're not going to do anything stupid, right?"

The smile I had been looking for this entire time finally made its way onto Bellamy's lips as he nodded. I knew when Bellamy said that he was "okay," he was lying because I knew him, and whenever he played with his hands, he was nervous, and that was all he had been doing since he got in the cave.

Moving over to where Monty was, I saw he sat with his back against the cave wall with his legs pulled to his chest; I mirrored his position as I sat down. I didn't say anything when I slid my back against the wall to sit next to Monty — there wasn't much I honestly could say, but I knew if it were me, I would just want someone to be around. The only thing that I did was wrap my arm around his shoulder and pull him closer in a comforting manner.

Everyone was quiet for a while as we all sat in the cave, each spread out to collect our own thoughts. Before we had gotten to the cave, Indra had informed us that she couldn't come with us because she needed to tell the Commander of the Ice Nations marching toward their land. So now, it was up to us to get Clarke before the Ice Nation did.

I wasn't sure how long I was sitting with Monty as my mind had been filling with thoughts. I wasn't really paying attention to the conversation going around me either because Monty was telling his Mother what had happened out Mount Weather. There wasn't even a tiny part of me that wanted to relive what happened, so I just ended up tuning out the sounds around me.

"Forty-two of us got out alive. We did what we had to." Was the first part of the conversation I actually heard clearly.

"You did the right thing. Kill or be killed." Pike expressed as a solemn look came on my face when I watched Hannah try to comfort her son after reliving what had happened. "So Mount Weather is ours now?"

"Yeah." Said Kane as he got up from the rock he was sitting on as Monty did the same and walked away. I didn't question where he was going; I just let him walk as Kane continued. "We use it for supplies."