043. ꕥ A Recipe for Worry and Happiness

In the few hours I was asleep in Medical, a lot had happened.

I learned Raven has decided to get a life or death surgery to remove the bullet lodged in her back. It's super risky; she could die from the surgery. From what I've been told, it's either that or keep the bullet in, but she'll never walk. I also learned that my brother was taken from Medical and put in lock-up with Bellamy. Anyone with common sense knows that's a bad idea. It was safe to say that I was a little bit stressed.

That was where I was currently heading: lock-up, in search of John and Bellamy. I'm limping my way across from the Medical tent into the Ark. I'm not a hundred percent positive this is where they are, but I could take a guess.

All around, people were working, just as they were outside. People were doing various tasks to fix up the Ark. To make it ground-proof — I guess was what you could call it.

It's weird being back here, in the Ark. I never really got to see it before, so it's the tiniest bit interesting walking around. Most of the hallways are the same sad grey color. It's not very appealing, but I guess we can't be complaining when this was our only way of survival.

I kept slowly making my way around when I saw a familiar face. My eyes widened as I quickly turned on my heels and tried to head in the other direction before they saw me.

"What are you doing out of Medical?" It was Kane who called out and pulled me off to the side.

I tilted my head up to look at him before I tried to answer as sternly as I could. "I'm looking for my John and Bellamy. I want to see them."

Kane shook his head. "Out of the question. They're in lock-up, and you're supposed to be in Medical."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't you have bigger problems than worrying about me wandering around? Besides, if you leave my brother and Bellamy together, they'll rip each other to pieces."

Kane let out a frustrated sigh as he pinched the bridge of his nose. He's about to say something when another voice can be heard.

"There you are." It was the voice of Abby that had me turning my head to see her marching toward us. "Why are you out of bed?"

I rolled my eyes yet again. "I'm looking for someone — actually someone's. But Commando Cop here won't let me see them."

Abby looked from Kane and then back to me. "Joanna, I need you to come back into Medical. Right now, I have bigger problems to worry about. I don't need patients not listening and walking around causing more pain for themselves."

"See?" I turned back to Kane. "People have bigger problems than me. So go deal with those problems, then find me. I'll probably still be here. I can't go very far anyway." I pointed to my left leg.

I looked back at Abby, and she now had a more serious expression on her face. "Listen to me. You walking on that leg is not good. If you keep pushing, you could cause more damage. It's not as bad as Raven, but that doesn't mean you can walk around with that bullet still in your leg."

My lips turned down into a frown, and I sighed in defeat, nodding at Abby's words. Soundlessly, she helps me back into the Medical tent. And that's where I laid down and rested.

❣︎

As I heard Raven let out another loud scream in pain, I shifted in the bed to turn on my side and pressed my hands as hard as I could against my ears. Being in the room next to Raven's meant I could hear every scream, grunt, and yell in pain as she went through the surgery. I wasn't sure how long I could listen — listen to her be in pain.

It lasted for about another hour or so before the screaming stopped. I let out a sigh of relief; for many reasons, Raven is no longer going through that painful surgery, and I couldn't hear her screams anymore.