040. ꕥ Dying

The harsh sunlight hurt my eyes as they fluttered open. I immediately closed my eyes again. After a moment, I reopened them, my eyes adjusting to the sunlight that shines in from the open Dropship door.

I didn't move; I only moved my eyes. Scanning over the floor, I saw an awake Raven lying on the floor too.

"Good morning." She said, her eyes locked on me. There was no hint of joy in her voice. A layer of sweat covered her face, and there were bags around her eyes.

I tried to move to at least sit up. I'm still lying on the floor. Letting out a pained grunt, I pushed myself up, so my back was leaning against a crate. I tilted my head towards Raven so I could look at her.

"Where is everyone?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"Don't know." Raven answered. "They were all gone when I woke up. I've heard no sign of them."

Letting out a shaky sigh, I listened. Raven was right; there was no noise indicating that anyone was out there.

"So they left us." It came out more as a statement than a question.

Raven didn't say anything; she just looked at me with a solemn expression, me doing the same. Slowly I closed my eyes and tilted my head back.

Clarke wouldn't leave us here, right? I had some hope that she wouldn't. Some. I didn't have much hope right now. I mean, Raven and I are sitting here bleeding out. I lost my brother, I lost Finn, and I lost Bellamy. I have no one left.

Maybe it would be okay if I die here. At least I would get to see the people I care about. Dying here wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. I would be at peace, and after everything that's happened, that sounds nice.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard footsteps outside. I turned my head to look at Raven; her eyes darted from the open door to me.

My eyes glanced to a discarded gun lying on the floor. Raven followed my line of sight and picks up the gun. "Play dead." Raven ordered, barely above a whisper. With a grunt in pain, she roled on her other side so it looks like she's dead or asleep.

I understood what she meant. Pushing myself off the crate, I land on the floor with a low thud. I wanted to let out a yell in pain, but I held it in. Spotting a knife lying on the floor, I grabbed it and held it in my hand just in case. Now that I was lying on my back, I closed my eyes. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I took one last deep breath.

I could hear the sheets hanging in the Dropship doorway move. My heart rate sped up at the sound of shoes hitting the metal floor. I tried to keep my breathing steady and not cause any unwanted attention.

The next thing I heard was a single gunshot. My eyes sprang open just in time to see a Grounder fall to the ground dead with a bullet hole in his head. Both Raven and I let out a sigh of relief. Raven fell on her back as I closed my eyes to try and steady my breathing.

But of course, our relief didn't last long. I heard more footsteps approaching. Before I could signal anything to Raven, she was already positioning herself to be ready to shoot.

I gripped the knife tighter as I held it out; sitting up, I tried to get myself ready. I wasn't not really sure what I'm going to do. A shadow came on the sheets; my eyes locked on it. The figure pulled back the sheets to reveal someone who I thought was dead.

My brother, John Murphy, stood there alive right in front of my eyes. I almost laughed at the fact that he was still somehow alive.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, it's okay. It's okay. Raven, don't shoot. Please." John rushed out his words and raised his bound hands in the air.