025. ꕥ At War

It turned out Finn had gotten himself into a pretty big mess.

From what I'd been told, Finn somehow talked to the Grounder we kept. He also convinced him to set up a meeting with his leader and ours, which apparently was Clarke, to hopefully negotiate peace. Raven, Jasper, Bellamy, and I were supposed to be their backup in case something went wrong. We followed Clarke and Finn to the meeting point, which I had no idea where it was. We left camp about ten minutes after Finn and Clarke, and she was dropping the Jobi nuts to give us an easy trail to follow.

We'd been doing that for the past hour. We kept walking and saw more of the nuts Clarke dropped.

"At least they're good for something." Bellamy muttered as he picked up the nuts.

"Sorry about bringing up Clarke earlier that was awkward." Jasper told Raven.

It sure was.

"Shut up." Raven said.

"All three of you shut up." Bellamy demanded.

"Hey, I didn't even say anything." I defended as I readjusted the grip on my gun.

"Just keep your eyes open." Bellamy ordered as we took off walking again, following the trail.

❣︎

After more and more walking, we finally made it to the meeting point, which happened to be an old bridge. The four of us went to the water's edge to have a better look at what was going on, but we stayed far enough away and in the bushes, so we weren't seen.

"What's Octavia doing here?" Jasper wondered out loud, causing us all to direct our attention to the bridge

I saw the Grounder that we had locked up running to the side of the bridge with our people on it. Octavia met him in the middle, and they embraced in a tight hug. I could see Bellamy's jaw clench beside me, watching the two.

"I guess we know how he got away." Raven said with a smirk. I nudged her with my arm and nodded to Bellamy, giving her a look that said 'not helping'.

I noticed Clarke step back away from the Grounder. Finn grabbed Clarke's hand; Raven dropped her smirk and now had a deadly look on her face. I gave her an apologetic look before turning my attention back on the bridge.

Bellamy held up his gun in the direction of Octavia and the Grounder and looked through the scope.

"Wait." Raven said, gesturing to the bridge. "Look."

I could hear faint neighing in the distance. Lifting my gun to look through the scope, I spot three horses coming into view from the opposite end of the bridge. "Woah." I gasped out in amazement. "Those are horses."

My smile quickly faded when I took note of the Grounders on the horses that were definitely armed. Good thing we brought weapons too.

Clarke started walking in the direction of the Grounders. A female Grounder dismounted her horse and did the same. She has long brown-blond hair that's partly tied back. She also had black war paint surrounding her eyes. She looked intimidating. Both Clarke and the female Grounder met in the center of the bridge.

I watched the encounter closely between the two. Clarke put her hand out to shake, but the female Grounder didn't. Clarke awkwardly put her hand back at her side.

We couldn't hear what they were saying because we were so far away, but all four of us kept our eyes focused on the encounter. I could only hope that Clarke was getting somewhere with her about living in peace. The female Grounder looked pissed at Clarke's words, so my hopes weren't very high right.