074. ꕥ Welcome To The Ground

War.

It was something that I'd become a custom to by now. Being on the ground for however long we have been, we've always been at war — since we landed. First, it was the Grounders, and now it was the Mountain Men. They both threatened the lives of those who have come from space. The Grounders because we were on their land, and they wanted to take it back. And now the Mountain Men want to take our bone barrow; they want what's in our system so they could live on the ground.

When the war with the Grounders started, I thought there was nothing more terrifying on this planet. Boy, was I wrong. Having just the thought of the people in this mountain killing all my friends — the kids with who I spent my first months on the ground — was a whole lot scarier. Just the pure thought of having them kill Harper, Jasper, Monty, Miller, and now Bellamy had me more petrified than I've ever been.

So when the Grounders with our team killed Mount Weather guards to get into the turbine room, I didn't feel one ounce of guilt. I didn't feel anything when one Grounder on a balcony shot a guard in a hazmat suit in the eye. It didn't bother me.

Looking up at the Grounder, I gave him a nod. Granted, I didn't know if he could see it, but I still did it. Raven, Wick, and I then rushed past the dead body. My eyes only glanced down to make sure I didn't trip over it.

"Go cover the door." Raven ordered.

I didn't know if it was directed to Wick or me, but I was the one to answer her. Pulling out the handgun on my side, I looked between the two. "I got it. You two start working."

Raven's only response was to nod before I started rushing off to the door with my gun out, ready to use. As I made my way to the door, I could hear Wick ask from behind me if he was alone. Raven didn't answer him, or if she did, I couldn't hear it. Moving up to the door, I pressed my back against it next to the window that looked out past this room. I took a deep breath before turning to face the window to see no one in sight coming here.

After double-checking to make sure I was positive that no one was coming, I hurried back over to the couple — well, I don't know if they're a couple, there was blatantly something going on between the two, but I had decided not to question it — but that wasn't the point.

Walking back up to the massive turbines, I saw Raven at the furthest one down and Wick at the second furthest. I ran past Wick and to Raven, where she was crouched down. I mirrored her position as she worked, not taking her eyes off the task in front of her.

"Okay. No one's coming right now." I informed her while trying to catch my breath. Damn, I still don't like running. The handgun that was previously in my hand was put back in its rightful place on my thigh.

Raven's eyes faltered in my direction for a split second. "Good. Now watch exactly what I do. Once I do this one, you can work on the third one, and I'll help Wick with the second one."

My eyebrows scrunched together. "I thought Wick was already working on the second one. Why would he need your help?"

"Because it's Wick. He's probably not doing something right."

Trying to stifle a laugh, I spoke. "You don't seem to have much faith in him."

Raven nodded her head to the side as she continued to work. "I have more faith in you, and I know you've only been a "part-time" mechanic for a couple of months. While he's probably been doing this for longer. That should say something."

I hummed at Raven's comment. "I don't know whether to be honored or offended by that."

"Honored." Answered Raven. "But you can be honored later. We have work to do."