037. ꕥ The Plan

Remember when I said that walking through the forest gives me a sense of peace? Yeah, that definitely has changed.

First off, I was with my brother when I said that, and second, everyone was on high alert, including myself. It's not a new feeling either; I had been on high alert since we landed.

Bellamy and I were in the middle of the group, walking alongside Clarke, who seemed to be lost in her thoughts. Bellamy still had his arm around me, with a gun hanging off his shoulder. I was trying to keep at the same pace as everyone, but after walking for a while, I could feel myself getting tired.

Clarke must've noticed this too. "You shouldn't be walking, Jo."

I clenched my teeth as I took another step forward. "I'm fine, Clarke. It's nothing I can't handle."

She gave me a disapproving look as we came to a stop.

"Why are we stopping?" I asked, trying to get a clear view of the front of the group. Kids started shuffling around in front of me, so there was now a clear line of sight from where we were to the front of the group. I could see Octavia, who had her hand in the air, as she stared out into the forest.

Bellamy shook his head beside me. "I don't know." He started to let go of me and make his way to the front of the group when something came flying through the air.

In a blink and you'll miss it moment, a blade came hurtling towards us and stuck right in one kid's face. Drew, I think his name was, fell to the ground dead. I let out a gasp in shock as Jasper yelled out one word, indicating the start of this war.

"GROUNDERS!"

Bellamy immediately turned around, grabbed my arm, and put it around his shoulders. He basically started dragging me along. I knew I wouldn't have been able to keep up, and Bellamy knew that too. I could tell he was searching for Octavia. Every five seconds, Bellamy turned his head back, looking for her. But we didn't stop; we kept moving forward.

Octavia did catch up with us; she came up beside me and grabbed my arm. She didn't say anything; she just gave a quick nod. We could move at a much faster pace now with Octavia's help.

Once we entered camp walls, Bellamy let go of me and started ushering panicked kids into camp. Octavia pulled me off to the side, and I leaned my back against the camp wall, trying to catch my breath. Through the midst of the chaos, I lost my walking stick, so I was limited to people helping me.

"Are you okay?!" Octavia shouted over the commotion.

Taking in deep breaths, I nodded at her. Truth be told, no, I wasn't okay. The Grounders are about to attack, and I'm defenseless because of the condition I'm in.

Bellamy, all of a sudden, appeared beside us; he gave me a worried look before climbing onto one of the platforms that overlooked the wall. I watched as he lifted his gun; looking through the scope, he scanned the forest for any sign of Grounders.

Clarke came and did the same thing; she popped up right next to him. Her eyes scanned the forest as well.

"Where are they?" Bellamy asked Clarke. I could hear the panic in his voice. "Why aren't they attacking?"

Clarke seemed to have made a realization. "Because we're doing exactly what they wanted us to do."

I didn't hear Bellamy's response because Finn came up to me and started looking me over. He didn't say anything; he just motioned for me to lean against him, and I did so willingly; pushing my back off of the camp wall, I leaned into Finn.

All of a sudden, Clarke spun around from where she was standing. "Lincoln said the scouts would be the first to arrive."

"Well if it's just scouts we can fight our way out." Octavia said, looking up to Clarke. "That's what Lincoln would do."