38

Day three showed no signs of rescue and Teruya was wondering whether he should give up and just use the emergency stash of chakra he had. 

Call him stupid, but the fact that he didn't know the layout of this lair and  that Orochimaru had himself surrounded by ANBU level ninjas didn't do any better for him. 

(This narration of Teruya's "experimentation" may seem like nothing, but reality was scary. Please do not think Teruya is okay when he says that he is okay.)

A clank sound reverberates within the empty room and the light that shines on Teruya's face is blinding.

"Ugh, are you trying to make me blind?" he complains, eyes shut tightly. The visitor paid no heed to his words, "I have brought your food." the voice calmly replies, a metal tray landing on the side table where Teruya lays, chained to the hard floor. 

The state Teruya has been reduced to in a mere three days cannot be ignored. His beautiful, long hair had disappeared, leaving a cropped (honestly poorly done) red of a disaster. His healing abilities had diminished incredibly so, he's surviving because of the proud Uzumaki blood that flows through his veins. 

He's left weaponless, weapons strapped away, seals torn to shreds. Teruya is truly helpless. 

(Maybe except for that secret stash of chakra, but not now.)

Darkened blue eyes travel to the flowing light, and he meets eyes with someone familiar. 

"It's the taichou," Teruya comments, hands eager to have food in the starved system.

Tenzo frowns. Why did this eccentric man keep calling him taichou?

"Don't mind the nickname. You just look like you would become the captain of a team someday," the Uzumaki says, but is too distracted by the food, untangling chains that he managed to mix up.

"Tenzo right? I've heard the snake call you that."

Tenzo's lips twitch in reply of an answer. (Tenzo admits that Teruya's words were getting to him.)

A spoonful of the (weirdly, amazingly, tasty) porridge goes in his mouth. Teruya glances at the male staring at him emptily behind the creepy mask. 

I hate that mask. Konoha should make their masks more practical.

He recalls the first time he wore it, wearing Kakashi sensei's for fun. That mask messed up his peripheral vision.

Messing up the peripheral vision...Hmm, everyone here wears that dumb mask. Teruya thinks absentmindedly as another spoonful of the rice goes in his mouth, It's a poorly designed mask. It would disturb their line of vision to an extent. I have not sensed more then six people including Orochimaru here, so maybe escape is possible. 

The wonderful meal is soon over, and not a drop is left. 

"The meal was wonderful. Please give my regards to the cook," Teruya says politely, wiping his mouth. "I hope that dinner will be as delicious.

Tenzo cautiously takes the tray back, empty bowl and spoon clattering as he slides the door shut. And once again, as he walk along the hallway of twists and turns that has been ingrained in his body, Tenzo's mind goes back to a certain red haired hostage. 

Tenzo doesn't care for useless things like "feelings", but he wasn't sure whether ominous was supposed to be one or not. 

Clues had been found, tracing from the hospital room Teruya rested in. Only one out of the five shinobi that were guarding the patient managed to barely survive before even she had succumbed to her injuries.