22

It was the third day of Teruya's patrol. The war was nearing it's end, and so was his friend, Kurama. 

The Uzumaki sighed, "It's lonely.

Kurama who was dormant kept quiet, slowly preparing for his departure. "I can't believe you're really leaving." Teruya whispered, looking up at the cloudy sky, not speaking to anyone in particular. He looked strange, speaking to himself. 

'But I'm not far behind either,' he thought, looking to his hands. He did not really understand what his dead friend, Sakura, meant when she told him about the full Uzumaki integration. But one thing he realized was that his hair was turning red. The crown of his head looked like the cherry on a cake. 

What was going on?

***

"Hey Kakashi."

"Hm?" The Hatake was busy packing all of his ninja weapons for a mission he was going to have tomorrow. 

"Do you think I could do it?" Obito asked, playing with his fingers nervously. 

"Do what?

"C-confess..." the boy replied, his cheeks going red at the very mention of the word. 

Kakashi stopped doing what he was doing and turned around, staring at the Uchiha. 

"W-What? Stop looking at me like that!" Obito exclaimed, looking away.  Kakashi just thought for a while before replying, "Do what you have to do. Just don't regret it.

"Oh?" Obito was a little surprised at the calm answer. Kakashi would've usually snapped back at the Uchiha and there would be a whole fight by now, but after losing the sight in his left eye, he had mellowed down a bit. 

"I didn't expect that from you. But thanks Kakashi!" Obito said before running off to find a certain brown haired girl. Because today was the day. He was finally going to get rid of the heavy weight of feelings he had for the girl. And even if she rejected him, he's feel better.

"Good luck on that, Obito." Kakashi whispered before slinging the bag and leaving for home. He was going to have to speak to Minato-sensei about Teruya-san, because he's been having weird dreams lately. 

***

"Rin!" Obito called out for the girl who was currently sitting alone on the park swings, looking deep in thought. The girl snapped out of her daydream before looking at the owner of the familiar voice. 

"Obito-kun! What brings you here?" she asked as she looked to the Uchiha, smiling. 

"U-Um nothing!" he squeaked. 

'Ugh you dumb dumb just tell her already!!

"Do you...have something to say?

"I-I...

'NO OMG I CAN'T!!!

"Hey, I have to tell you something." Rin said as the mood immediately became serious at the low tone of her voice. Obito, sensing that what she was going to wasn't joking, sat on the swing beside her. 

"Yeah?

"Do you know what's a bijuu?

"Bijuu?" Obito repeated. Rin nodded her head. 

"I had a really weird dream last night but I remember everything. Usually I'd forget my dream the second I wake up, but it's been stuck in my head the whole day today. It was so vivid." she explained. "I saw Kushina-san and Minato-sensei. I also saw Kakashi-kun and everyone else. In that dream, there was this flash of electricity and it sounded like the chirps of birds. And apparently I had died.

"That sounds scary Rin. Are you alright?" Dreaming of your own death didn't seem like a good sign. Rin just nodded her head as she continued her story. 

"Kirigakure had sealed this huge monster, and it called itself Isobu. It was strange looking, huge and looked overall disgusting. But it was so strong, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Obito paused to think for a while. He'd heard that before. The description was oh so familiar to him, but he couldn't put a finger to it. 

"Did it have three tails?

Rin looked to the boy and nodded her head in surprise, "Yes! How did you know?

Obito got up from his swing and gestured to Rin to do the same. "Teruya-san told me about it. The Nine-Tailed Beasts. I've also read about it in the Uchiha clan books." he explained as he spoke in a low voice, looking around to see if anyone was listening. 

"They got separated since Hashirama-sama's time, and we have one in Konoha too.

"The Nine-Tailed Beast..." Rin continued. Obito nodded his head, his eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed in concentration. "I swear I've heard this story before. But I can't remember! Ugh this is annoying.

"Do I tell Minato-sensei? I don't know why, but I have this feeling that it's important." The two stared at each other for a while, and Obito lightly blushed. But the two were having the same thought.

They didn't want to disturb their teacher. It was already news that the blond haired man was going to be Hokage and he already had many things to worry about. He didn't have time be worried about a dream that didn't have strong evidence about Kirigakure.  

"I don't really know, Rin." Obito said after a while. 

"Then what if we ask Teruya-san?" Rin suggested. 

"That's...actually not a bad idea. He was the one who told me this story too.

"Okay, then that's settled. But it's a little strange how we've warmed up to Teruya-san so quickly." Rin said as she was walking beside the Uchiha towards her home. 

"I know right? There's this weird feeling like he knows all of us. I'm not going to lie, it's kind of creepy." Rin chuckled. "That's true.

As they walked in silence (that strangely didn't seem awkward), they had finally reached Rin's house. 

"Dad?" Rin exclaimed as she removed her shoes and placed them on the shoe rack, Obito doing the same. With no reply, Rin called to her father again. 

"Dad?" Again, no reply. "That's strange. He's usually at home, and today's a Saturday.

Rin stepped into her house with Obito following closely behind. But as they went deeper into the house, Rin could sense that something was not right. 

"Hey Obito, I think something's wrong here." she said in a low voice as Obito nodded his head in agreement. 

"It's a little too silent-

It hit Obito like a truck before he even knew it. In a flash, his Sharingan eyes flickered open to block a kunai that was aimed at his head. Rin who reacted a bit later, quickly whipped out a senbon needle from her sleeves and aimed it at the direction she heard the noise from. 

But like a swift little mouse, scurrying across the floor, the silent assailant once again aimed for the two kids, but they quickly blocked. Obito ran into the darkness and directly engaged in battle with the enemy.

He could see their chakra outline and movements very well with his Sharingan, Rin who was behind him quickly ran to the switch board and turned on all the lights, revealing their mysterious assailant. 

A black and white creature with yellow eyes and tentacles for legs. 

"What the heck is that?!" Obito flinched at the sight of the creature.

'Why do I know him?' he questioned himself as his heart was hammering against his chest after realizing he had just uttered a name he had never heard of before. 

"Black zetsu...?

***

oof

Friday, 20 August, 2021