29

Jiraiya was a man defeated once by Hanzo of the Salamander. 

But that was him of the past.

Many years ago in the Second Great Ninja War, he and his team mates Orochimaru and Tsunade were fighting, but they had managed to be the only survivors left. In exchange for letting them live, Hanzo gave the three the name Sannin and was told to introduce themselves as the Great Sannin.

It was a huge disgrace and a kick to their pride, but their life was on the line and they were not going to die on the battlefield.  

Things were a little different this time though. Jiraiya was a little older (and so was the hairless creep), a little bit more experienced and had become much more powerful. For he had something new in store. Something he hadn't tested out yet

"What the hell!! Hurry up and kill the brats!!" Hanzo quickly ordered to his men before sharp blades came flying at him, and of course he avoided it. 

BOOM!

Another great ball of fire was aimed his way, but he managed to dodge again in the nick of time, and this time, return a cloud of poison. The shout of a jutsu caught his attention as he did not recognize the opponent he was fighting, 

'Is it that young man?' Hanzo immediately thought of him when he heard the familiar rambunctious tone and a slight scratch to the voice. 

"So I meet you once again, Jiraiya." Hanzo declared dramatically as the smoke cleared, making the view much more clearer. "Or should I say, one of the Sannin, Jiraiya the Great?"

The white haired man stood opposite to Hanzo, clad in his everyday wear and wooden sandals, with an additional large scroll on his back which was sure to be in use for the battle that was about to commence. 

Jiraiya cleared his throat as his face hardened into a serious expression, "I meet you again, Hanzo of the Salamander. What happened to you?

It was a question that bore many meanings. And for a moment, Hanzo paused to think. That question hit the nail right on its head. What happened to him? Why was he so dead set on having the Akatsuki members killed? They had nothing against him. 

No, they did. They were a threat to him and his power. His status as the Legendary shinobi and a fear he instilled into people's minds like no one else was at danger. 

It was that bastard Danzo who convinced the power-hungry shinobi to get rid of Akatsuki. 

"You have gotten bolder!" said Hanzo, and Jiraiya could not agree any more. 

'I certainly have.

And with no room for talking, the two shinobi engaged in a battle which would go on to be short-lasting and rather boring. 

***

"Oh Yahiko you idiot! Don't do that again!" Konan slapped the orange haired male on his back, which stung, and Nagato shot a glare to the taller male as the pelting rain made the situation even more serious. 

"I'm sorry." Yahiko apologized. "But Nagato was just stuck there! What could I do?!"  he retorted, turning to the Uzumaki. Nagato did not answer and left them hanging. 

"Well whatever, I swear I won't do it again." Yahiko promised and the other two could only give him a skeptical look before he sighed. "Finnneeeee I really really really promise I won't do it again.

Konan scoffed playfully before stepping forward, glancing behind to her friends, saying, "Are we going to kick some ANBU butt or what?

"Count me in." Nagato quietly muttered, following the female. Yahiko who was left behind just sighed before trailing behind them. 

"Wait up guys!!

***

An in-complete Rasengan. Atleast that's how Teruya would describe it as. The ball of wind chakra that landed on Hanzo was a huge blow to the man and was life threatening. 

The two summons, Gamabunta and Ibuse poofed out of existence as the two shinobi jumped off of them. The battle was getting over. Jiraiya had made a make shift seal around him to protect himself from the poisonous toxins that Hanzo was releasing right at the moment. Hanzo had lived with it for so long, but he could never control it. 

"How?! How is this possi—" Hanzo spluttered thick coats of blood, his mask torn off from his face and his left hand not faring too well. Jiraiya was doing better, with barely a scratch on his face. 

Jiraiya who stared at the man as if he was let down, disappointed and maybe even a small gaze of pity mixed in. What the hell happened to Hanzo? What happened to his explosive power? His sharp moves? His smart thinking? 

Did Jiraiya become stronger? Or did Hanzo become weaker?

"You've grown too arrogant. I've heard that you've stopped engaging in battles and are focusing more on gaining power. Who was it that convinced you?" Jiraiya questioned as he took a step forward to the opponent. Hanzo wanted to answer terribly, but the rising feeling of puke up his throat and the stinging pain of his own poison that he couldn't handle himself was extremely disturbing and visually disgusting. 

"I've grown weak..." he weakly murmured, not particularly at anyone but himself. Yes, he had truly gotten so weak. He couldn't believe it. How could someone he defeated before grow more powerful than himself? It sounded logically impossible to him. 

He hadn't practiced in so long. He hadn't made any improvement as a shinobi. His skills were deteriorating and he was losing the passion he once had for peace and the joining of the Five Great Countries.  

But not all was lost. 

"You have my respect, Hanzo." said Jiraiya before leaving the man alone. And Hanzo realized something. The fire inside of him had been lit again. It was as if he were learning something new for the first time. Like the arrogant person he had grown to become, he had never sought to improve, already deeming himself strong enough

But strong enough was not enough. 

'I can see his faith in himself.' Hanzo thought as his gaze blurred before collapsing. 

***

Did I make Hanzo a little nerfed or Jiraiya a little too strong? lol nvm, this chapter turned out great in my opinion! 

written; friday, 26 november, 2021

published; friday, 26 november, 2021

Have a great day ya'll! <3