Chapter 2

Capri Rae Martin
September 9th
It'd been the first week of school and already it was ending with a football game. I honestly didn't even like going to these things, but here I was. I didn't mind it this time, only because I was here with my best friend and I was watching my man play. He was number 5 and nobody cheered for him more than I did.

Tryouts were in the summer so we could just hop right into football season in the fall. That's how my school worked. It was weird but it had my boyfriend Micah going ballistic this summer. Everyday he'd been in the gym. Then he'd go to practice. And he made the team every single year.

He wanted to be in the NFL one day and if this year went as he planned, he could end up in a D1 school. But I often thought about what that meant for me. I had dreams of my own that I wanted to accomplish. So I wondered what our different career paths would do to our relationship.

He wanted me to travel with him. You know? Be by his side and make it to the top with him. But the independence in me wanted to do it for myself. Not be someone's trophy wife. He said 'that's what I signed up for when I decided to be his girlfriend in middle school.' And that he was my lil meal ticket.

He was joking but sometimes I couldn't help but think he was serious.

Micah played the QB all four years of high school. And this year, senior year, I just knew he was going to bring us to the state finals yet again. With his grades, parents money, and his talent, that boy was gonna make it big.

"We're in the fourth quarter of the first game of the season! Make some noise!" The game announcer announced, interrupting me from my thoughts.

The crowd cheered and I made sure to cheer proudly and represent for my man. I wore his jersey number and everything.

"Bellevue High and O'Dea high! They're down 10 on the Bellevue 40 yard line! And OH looks like Micah Wilson caught the ball!"

I stood up and cheered, proud that we were already winning the first game of the season. There were only a few seconds left in the game as the crowd anticipated our first win. Our team huddled, making their final plays then made it to their spots.

"The chargers have to score this in order to win the first game of the season!" The announcer spoke.

"YOU GOT IT MICAH!" I shouted, hoping he could hear me from the bleachers.

He turned around waving at me, pumping his fist in triumph. It made me feel all special, knowing he heard me from all the way in the crowd.

Moments later, the game started again and the players started to play. The crowd watched as Micah stuck to the gameplay and dodged in between opponents. And when he caught the ball, we went wild. We were on the edge of our seats as he ran towards the goal.

One of the opponents kept chasing him and it made me nervous. Suddenly he was tackled but it was too late because he already made it past the goal. He stood up, holding the ball with victory.

"LOOKS LIKE BELLEVUE HIGH'S FIRST WIN OF THE YEAR!" The game announcer shouted.

The crowd went wild and like that the Bellevue chargers won the game.

Following after my lead, my friend Samaria and I ran onto the field. So did some of the other students. Seemingly everyone was headed over to congratulate Micah but I made it to him first.

When I approached him, he picked me up and spun me around. I wrapped my legs around him and my arms around his neck.

"I'm so proud of you!" I exclaimed.

He kissed me on the lips, pulling away. "Couldn't have done it without you Pri."

"Stop!" I blushed, hitting him on the shoulder.