Storms

Finn is 11

Rose pov

It all happened so fast. One minute I was playing in the garden and the next I was sat in Charlie's barn, mourning the death of a loved one. It felt so surreal. I knew this day would come but i never really imagined it would be so soon. He would surely die before me, older by far and not expected to live as long due to his line of work. But he still had so much to do. So much ahead of him. Let me explain how I got in this situation.

It happened early this morning. Finn came into my room to get me up.

"Come on. You can come out with me and my mates" he said as he dragged me out. I was quick to get ready and we practically sprinted out the door without breakfast. We met up with some kids, me being the youngest and went to the river. It was flowing faster than usual. A cloud of darkness covered the sky. I stood on Finns shoulders as he helpedme look over someone's garden. They wanted me to check if anyone was in. Behind the house, was a field. A field of cows. It was small and muddy but a field nonetheless.

"What do you see?" My nephew peter asked

"We should get back finny. The cows are lying down" I told him.

"What's that got do with anything?" He asked confused

"It means its gonna rain hard and soon" I explained. At that moment, it started to spit and finn got me down from his shoulders.

"A little rain never hurt anybody" one of the girls said as they started sliding in the fresh mud that lay on the grass. Me and finn joined them, him holding me on his hip as we skidded all over the place. The rain started to get heavier and everyone was drenched from head to toe. We were laughing as always at the rain but then something happened. Lighting struck and hit a tree. It caught on fire and landed right on the place we had been seconds before. We looked around to see windows being busted from people's houses and doors blown on the hinges.

"I think it's worse than we thought" a boy yelled over all the noise. I dug my head into finny neck and he put his hat on my head and his jacket on my shoulders. But still, I shivered.

"I'm scared finny" I yelled so he could hear me over the rain. Then we saw someone running towards us. Many men followed behind him. We recognised the man as John and the other peaky blinders. Everyone grabbed their kids and John took me in his arms as he held onto his sons hand. Finny held our neice Katie's hand as we ran back to the house. We stayed close to John as the lightning worsened.

We went into Arthur's house as that us the closest and it was too dangerous to stay out. Arthur was stood inside with the door opened helping us in and very quickly shutting the door behind him. We looked around and Tommy, polly and uncle Charlie were sat there. They were in fresh clothes that Arthur had given them. We all had our own rooms in eacothers houses so all had clothes. Me and John's daughters shared rooms and clothes so it was easy. Polly came over and walked me and Katie upstairs.

"Get them in a bath before they catch their death. You too john" she yelled down to them. Polly lead us into the bathroom and put us in the already made bath. Katie was 2 years older than me.

"Where's mummy?" She asked. She meant esme.

"She's at home darling. And so is your brother and sisters except for Peter. They are safe. It is too dangerous to go back right now" polly soothed her. Katie nodded her head in understanding. We played with the bubbles and blew them up in the air making us and aunt pol laugh. But our laughter was silenced by the window bursting open. Polly went to quickly shut it but she couldn't hold it long enough to close the hatch.

"John" she yelled for help. John came running in and helped polly with the window before helping me and Katie get dressed. We wore some warm clothes and got blankets for downstairs. It was freezing. We walked downstairs and i sat on uncle charlies lap since I had questions for him.