C H A P T E R • F O R T Y N I N E

A/N: there's some pretty graphic violence in this one

A/N: there's some pretty graphic violence in this one. DM me if you want details before you read.

Summer had officially departed, and with it went any kind of warmth we could reasonably have expected the sun to provide us. The sixteenth of October was the very middle of Fall, and the only trees that had retained their leaves were the ones in the beautiful evergreen forests that surrounded our kingdom, and divided it from the rest of the world.

Around Manburg, certainly, there was barely a tree left standing, and I was almost apprehensive to see the city again. Wilbur had not been a healthy influence over its people, but he was a much better option than Schlatt had ever been, and I wondered how much of the surrounding terrain would remain intact.

"Is everyone ready?" Phil asked, light brown eyes examining the crowd of us.

And we were a crowd, now. Tommy and Tubbo, swords strapped to their hips, looked as solemn as a pair of young judges.

Punz in full armour, one arm resting on Sapnap's shoulder who was similarly geared.

Rae, clad in perfectly crafted armour, her dark hair flowing from her helmet like river of copper, and George, who's armour seemed to look better on him than anybody else's, but that was nothing new.

Imane, wearing a quiver of arrows at her shoulder and a grim expression on her face, cradling her newly crafted bow to her chest as though it were something precious.

Wilbur, with a sword tucked nonchalantly behind his shoulders, and Techno wearing what he claimed was a fireproof leather cape pinned to his shoulders.

And Dream, who had not let go my hand since we left the castle.

On the hills behind us, the army and Sam were waiting for Punz's command.

"I'm ready," I nodded to my eldest brother, gripping my trident a little tighter.

"We don't know what Schlatt's planning," said Dream. "Anything could happen when we walk in there, so be ready to defend yourself."

I could feel his gaze attached to me, but I couldn't meet his eyes.

"Lets go," I murmured instead.

~.~.~.~.~

"Your time's up, Schlatt!" Dream called to him. "You need to surrender, now."

We stood at the entrance to Manburg, facing its president, surrounded by his guards. Quackity was also there, I noticed, his face expressionless as he stood beside his chosen leader. The Manburg soldiers waited on all sides, prepared to strike at any moment.

"What makes you say that?" Was Schlatt's drawling response. He smiled at us, lazily, smirking and content.

"We have the army behind us, we outnumber you greatly. You'll be killed if you continue this."