C H A P T E R • F O R T Y T W O

Dream let go of my hand as we entered the water, allowing me the use of my limbs to bring my head to the surface

Dream let go of my hand as we entered the water, allowing me the use of my limbs to bring my head to the surface. We were already rushing along at a terrific speed, and Dream was using both his hands now to haul George to the surface. The brunet was perhaps the least equipped out of all of us to swim down a torrential river, and he came up coughing and spluttering. I shook my head at him, knowing he should have held his breath before going under.

"Try and keep your body horizontal!" I yelled to the two of them, reaching to unclip my netherite chest-plate and leggings that had become instantly waterlogged, leaving me in my t-shirt and shorts. "We don't know how deep the water is, don't wanna bash your leg against something."

"I'm going to drown," George stated, as soon as he'd caught his breath. "I'm actually going to drown. DREAM!"

"I've got you, George, just breathe, okay?" Dream's voice was calm and even. "Jett, you okay?"

"I can swim better than you can," I responded. "Just let the current take you. The river is wide, we should be safe."

"It's flowing so fast though," said Dream. "This is crazy, we're going to reach the castle in a matter of minutes!"

"Be prepared to jump out again then. Stay near the edge, we need to get out before we hit the rapids or we'll be sent over the falls and into the ocean."

I patted my waist automatically to check that my trident was still strapped to my side, and found with relief that it was. Tridents alone were rare, let alone a trident of any quality, and I never wanted to lose mine. I attempted to edge closer to the eastern bank of the river, hoping that when it flattened out it wouldn't be too steep for us to climb up and escape the current.

Dream still had an iron grip on George's arm. The brunet, as a result of an incident in the water as a child, had never properly learned how to swim, and he was terrified. He looked at Dream with guilty eyes, mixed with irrational fear.

"Dream, I'm so sorry," he muttered, as he frantically tried to kick his legs to get closer to the bank.

"It's literally not your fault Gogy," I told him.

"She's right," Dream stated seriously.

"You guys should just leave me behind, you'll be safer without—"

"No!" Dream protested vehemently, but George wasn't convinced.

"I should have stayed with Sapnap," he muttered.

"Sapnap should be with us now too!" I yelled at him. "George, seriously... sorry for yelling at you but you're being a dumbass, we're all going to be fine. Look, the castle's just around that corner. We can get out of the water very soon."

"Wait, what's that?" Dream asked. "Listen."

It was hard to even hear each other over the roar of rushing water, but when I strained my ears, I was able to pick out several voices yelling loudly.