C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y T W O

Clay breathed out heavily, and sat down again on the throne

"Lex," he murmured, without looking at me, the only other occupant of the room. "Lex, I... come here."

I moved closer to him, and then let out a small squeak of astonishment as he pulled me into his lap, a hand coming to grasp my chin and tilt my face up to look at him.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I bit my lip nervously.

"I'm fine," my response was almost automatic.

"What Wilbur said... was it true? Did you tell him you feel that way?"

"What? No!" I retorted. "Of course not! I guess he just... I don't know, Clay. Sometimes I feel like you're just playing with me because I constantly want more than what I have with you. But at the same time, I don't want it if you're not ready to give it."

Clay sighed, and rested his forehead against mine. The green of his eyes was so vivid up this close, and he seemed to be searching my own eyes for something.

"Are you in love with me, Alexa?" He spoke softly.

It wasn't a question I expected, and I paused, considering my answer. In reality, I already knew what my response would be. Clay waited for it patiently, bringing one of my hands to his lips and kissing the inside of my wrist softly, his eyelashes fluttering briefly, green emeralds remaining focused on my expression.

"Of course I'm in love with you," I sighed, although my heart was pounding. "Right now? That's the only thing I'm sure of."

Clay nodded, just barely.

"Would you ever betray me, given the opportunity?"

"What kind of question is that?" I responded immediately. "Of course not!"

"Good," he stated, and suddenly I felt his lips pressing to the crown of my head. I was unable to prevent myself from melting into his touch, even though it wasn't what I really wanted. What I really wanted, or needed, was for him to kiss me properly, to tell me he loved me back. But he was giving me none of those things.

"Clay?" I spoke hesitantly.

"I'm going to be forced to make some hard decisions if we end up going to war," he said, his voice as soft and even as ever. "If I want to keep a handle on the area of L'Manburg I'm going to have to do some... morally ambiguous things. I need you to be with me on this, or I can't do it."

I shook my head, feeling a single tear slip from my eye and roll down my cheek. He kissed it away, and his lips felt like fire against my skin.

"I'll always be with you." As if I had a choice in that anymore.

Clay's response was to wrap his arms around me, and hug me tightly.

"I'm sorry," he murmured against the skin of my neck. "I can promise you one thing, Alexa, can you accept that? If it's the most I can give you right now?"