C H A P T E R • T H I R T Y S E V E N

There were, predictably, several questions, and amidst the general confusion that reigned upon Imane's introduction, George rushed forward and pulled the young woman into a hug

There were, predictably, several questions, and amidst the general confusion that reigned upon Imane's introduction, George rushed forward and pulled the young woman into a hug. Imane let out an oof at the suddenness of his embrace, but returned it eagerly, wrapping her arms around her old friend.

"I missed you Gogy," she mumbled.

"I can't believe you're alive," George responded, pulling back finally to stare at her in amazement.

"But what... how..." began Dream. I had never seen him speechless before, and couldn't help smiling at him despite myself, and my own confusion.

"We saw you fall to your death," stated Punz, shaking his head. "I don't understand..."

"You didn't actually see me die, to be fair," Imane shrugged her shoulders, as though all of this was no big deal to her. I figured it probably wasn't, having happened so long ago.

"But why didn't you come back?" Dream finally asked her.

"If I'd returned, your highness, nothing would have changed."

"He's the king now, Imane, it's 'your majesty,' not that he deserves your respect," Wilbur stated moodily.

"Just 'Dream' is fine," Dream rolled his eyes at Wilbur. "What do you mean, 'nothing would have changed'?"

Imane glanced between the two of them, and shook her head in disbelief.

"When I fell, I survived because I landed in the hot springs at the bottom of the ravine, but it still took me a while to recover from the fall. After Techno and Phil literally nursed me back to health, I realised how much I liked living here. If I'd gone back to the kingdom, you and Wilbur would continue to have death matches over me, and it'd never end until one or both of you died. REALLY died, this time. I didn't want that to happen."

"You couldn't have just told us you were okay?"

Wilbur's tone of voice betrayed his anger, and everyone turned to look at him in surprise.

"Not without outing Techno and Phil."

"These two idiots?!" Wilbur exclaimed. "I don't know if they've told you, but they are literally my brothers. You could have at least shared it with me! Do you not understand what I went through, what so many people went through because we thought you'd DIED?! Imane, you could have prevented a damn WAR if you'd come back in time."

"Wilbur, don't try and pin this war on anyone but yourself," said Dream, rolling his eyes.

"Don't give me that, we both know everything would have been different," Wilbur retorted.

"And yet, nothing at all has changed," Imane rolled her eyes. "Ten years, Dream! Ten years, Wilbur, both of you are men now! I blamed myself for what happened on that day for so long, and only maturity has given me the ability to think on it with impartiality. The both of you are entirely to blame for everything that happened, and you both have an equal share in it!"