C H A P T E R • F O R T Y

We rejoined my brothers and the rest of our friends upstairs, and I was happy to see Wilbur, Rae and Imane laughing about something together

We rejoined my brothers and the rest of our friends upstairs, and I was happy to see Wilbur, Rae and Imane laughing about something together. Sapnap, after satisfying his curiosity and concern regarding Dream and I, went over to join them. Rae had noticed him as soon as he'd entered the room, and the ombré haired girl held out an arm to him. I couldn't help smiling as Sapnap allowed her to wrap an arm around him, his own arm falling naturally around her waist, and the two smiled at one another.

"Okay, Sap," Punz muttered beside me, and I chuckled softly.

"Leave him be. He deserves this."

Phil and Tommy were both coming towards us, and I turned to give them my attention as they approached. Tommy looked almost scared, which admittedly surprised me.

"Are you okay, Tommy?" I asked him, my brow furrowing.

Tommy's blue eyes hardened slightly, almost as though he was embarrassed that I'd noticed he was out of sorts.

"I'm fine," he responded immediately. "But Tubbo is still in L'Manburg! We have to get him out, but Phil won't let me go!"

"You're not the only one who's best friend isn't here Tommy!" Wilbur called to him, when Tommy's raised voice interrupted his own conversation with the girls and Sapnap. "Nikki's still in L'Manburg too, you know."

"But Tubbo is so young! He..."

"Tommy," Phil interrupted him patiently. "I'm sure Tubbo would want you to believe he's capable of looking after himself. We can go looking for him tomorrow, okay?"

"If it's any consolation, Tommy," said Dream, "Schlatt's not after Tubbo, he's after whatever power he can get. Tubbo holds no power at all, so he's essentially useless to him. I doubt he even knows Tubbo is still there, which could actually work in our favour."

"In our favour?" Repeated Phil. "What do you mean?"

"Well, if we do find him, he'll be able to tell us what Schlatt's up to, you know? Act as a spy."

"I don't want Tubbo to be in any danger," said Tommy, his voice taking on a protective tone.

"We're not going to ask anything like that of him, Tommy, it's okay," I tried to soothe my younger brother. "We're going to find him, and ask him what he's seen since we left the city, okay?"

I felt Dream's hand slipping into mine as I spoke, and I couldn't help the slight smile that appeared on my face. Tommy's eyes fell to our connected hands, and he rolled his eyes. Phil chuckled at him.

"I'm glad to see you worked things out with each other," he said honestly.

I nodded to him, and thanked him genuinely for the sentiment.

Techno joined us as I finished speaking, wearing his usual expressionless look that I had learnt infuriated so many people. He was on the point of saying something, when a sharp ringing cut through my ears like a knife, and I dropped Dream's hand in alarm to cover my ears. It took me a second to realise that the piercing sound was not coming from an outside source, but rather, inside my head, and the pounding pain that followed it felt like a bolt of electricity cutting through my very being.