C H A P T E R • S E V E N

I watched as Clay loaded his crossbow, and narrowed my eyes at him critically

"Got your totem?" Sapnap yelled at me from his position on the wall.

I pulled the small golden item out of the strap at my waist and waved it at him.

"Good," he responded. "Now go kill him. I'm rooting for you."

"I'm not," George stated, throwing me a cheeky grin.

"Good to know I have some friends," Clay nodded towards George, before rolling his eyes at Sapnap. His expression was sardonic, and I wondered what he was thinking. "You ready, Alexa?"

"I'm ready," I nodded, twisting my trident in my hands in anticipation. "Consider this practice for fight club."

My fighting style was a little unorthodox when compared with most people's in the realm. My use of a trident was unusual for somebody of my build - the trident was a rare and heavy weapon, requiring a lot of upper body strength to wield it with any success. However, I'd fallen in love with the idea of it very early on in my training as a warrior, and had consequently put a lot of time and effort into becoming strong enough to use it.

I could still remember the day I'd seen the drowned that had wandered up the river, out of the ocean, towards the castle. Clay and I had been no more than eleven and ten years old respectively, and Clay's father had slain the monster before it could do us any harm. He hadn't noticed the weapon it had been wielding, and had been on the point of pulling us away from the water when I had noticed its shiny glint disappearing back into the depths of the river, and rushed in after it. This had perhaps not been the best idea, but I was not even a teenager then, and it hadn't occurred to me how heavy it would be. Clay's father had hauled me, and the trident, out of the water before I became a drowned myself, and I'd laid on the river bank, alternating between gasping for breath and asking what the weapon was. I'd never seen anything like it before in the armoury.

Now, as I gripped it tightly in my hand with ten years of training behind me, it simply felt like an extension of my own arm. Clay had often said the same of his netherite axe, which he had forged himself exactly to his liking. However, he used his axe in conjunction with a crossbow and shield. I needed most of my strength to wield my trident, foregoing the shield, and using the wider end of my weapon to block and parry. The loyalty enchantment which was engrained into the metal meant I could use it as a projectile as well, but it also meant that for the few seconds in between my throwing it, and it returning to my hand, I was left defenceless. I'd learnt how to manage this by now, however, and I liked to use my empty hand to balance, and occasionally to hold enderpearls.

Today, I did not have enderpearls, only my own intuition, and an intimate knowledge of how Clay liked to fight. Unfortunately for me, he had similar knowledge of me, and the kind of intelligence in battle that had put many of our own instructors to shame. I checked that my totem was tucked securely in place in my belt, and hoped I wouldn't have to use it. In training battles, we tried to tap out before the totem was activated, it was merely there as a precaution. We battled with limited resources during training, which was why I never fought with enderpearls. Similarly, Clay had only four arrows for his crossbow, which was a counter to the fact that when I threw my trident, I had nothing to block with. Our fighting methods were completely different, and both worked, in their own way.