C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y

"Don't let him ruin you, Lex

"Don't let him ruin you, Lex."

I glared at Sapnap, watching my dark haired friend swing his wooden axe precisely at a training dummy, each hit calculated and striking in exactly the right place. He'd been at it for a while now, and had already worked up a sweat when I'd joined him, taking a seat on the balance beam that for some reason sat off to one side in the armoury under the sparring arena. When I didn't respond, Sapnap paused his efforts to look at me pointedly.

"What?" I grumbled moodily.

"Glaring at me will not fix your problem."

"I didn't ask."

"Then why are you here?"

I rolled my eyes, as he returned to his training dummy, hefting the wooden axe that had been weighted to feel the same in your hands as netherite, but blunt enough to not obliterate the training dummy within a few swings.

"She got under your skin, didn't she?" I asked him, and felt a smirk creeping over my face as my words threw him off so far that he completely missed the dummy. I chuckled at him. "Don't chat to me, Sapnap, you're in the same boat."

"Far from it," He retorted, and it was his turn to glare at me now. "IF I decide I want something with Rae, which, incidentally, I haven't decided yet, I know how to go and get it. You, on the other hand... Lex, how long am I going to have to watch you and Dream dancing around one another when it's painfully obvious that you're in love?"

"Sap," I groaned, choosing to ignore his use of the L word. "If it's as obvious as you claim then I wouldn't be in this position."

"Oh? And what position is that?"

I sighed.

"He won't... he won't kiss me, he won't give me anything beyond... I don't know, stuff that strictly speaking could pass as platonic, but I know it's just not. He's so possessive of me, he wants to touch me and hold me, but he won't tell me anything concrete. He won't tell me how he feels."

Sapnap had laid down his axe, and was leaning against the balance beam now, looking at me with sympathetic eyes.

"Have you asked him to do all those things you want him to do?"

I hesitated.

"Well I... no, I..."

"You haven't?" He exclaimed. "Lex how is he supposed to know what you want if you don't tell him?"

"The thing is he does know!" I exclaimed. "I know he knows, he can read me like a book, and besides that's just how it is with us."

"What, he gets to call all the shots? That's not healthy, Lex. I adore both of you, but you're going to become toxic if you let that continue."

"It's not toxic," I shook my head, frowning at the notion. "I just don't want to ask him to do anything he's not ready for."

Sapnap sighed.