C H A P T E R • T E N

The days leading up to the coronation were stressful, to say the least

The days leading up to the coronation were stressful, to say the least. The day after the whole Schlatt incident was the funeral for Dream's parents, the late king and queen. Almost the entirety of the kingdom lined the streets to pay their respects as the funeral procession made its way from the front of the castle, on a tour through the city before returning to the royal cemetery, built within the castle grounds. I had never seen Dream as quiet as he was on that day, and I knew that he still had not properly processed what had happened. He needed more time, time that he wasn't allowing himself to have, and nothing I could say would convince him to let his guard down on his emotions.

The entire castle, and probably the rest of the kingdom was buzzing with activity for the duration of the week. Dream had been particularly concerned that Schlatt was still allowed the run of the castle grounds, and he was anxious for the week to be over so he could sack him. He, George and Bad had not been able to find anything incriminating in the records of who attended the conference at which the late king and queen had been killed. Schlatt, who was an obvious suspect, had been in attendance, but of course he had, he was prime minister.

The security at the castle had been upped, in anticipation of the crown jewels being used at the coronation, but despite this, I still felt on edge. We didn't know if any of the guards were answering to Schlatt, and being attacked from within was a real threat. Punz had been a huge help in dealing with the situation, refusing to allow anyone he didn't trust implicitly to come anywhere near Dream or I.

"Woah," said Dream, as he entered our common room on the day of his coronation. His eyes were immediately upon me, and he walked straight over, halting before me. "You look... stunning."

I felt my cheeks heating up, and I glanced down at the blue gown I was wearing, before turning back to meet his gaze.

"Thank you," I murmured, my eyes running over his features that seemed to be carved from a block of intricate marble. "You look nice too."

"What about me?" George complained, inserting himself between the two of us, and I giggled at him.

"You look pretty, George," Dream grinned at him. "You always do."

"Are we handing out compliments?" Asked Sapnap, rising from the chair he'd been sitting on to join our little group. "Can I have one too?"

"No," said Dream shortly.

"You look beautiful, Sap," I smiled at him.

"Careful," Sapnap smirked. "Don't wanna make the king jealous."

"Yeah, I only got nice, how come he got beautiful?" Dream complained.

"Dream, I was joking," Sapnap rolled his eyes, giving his friend a light shove.

"Alright," said Punz, entering our common room, a couple of guards with him, and successfully putting a halt to our strange conversation. He laid a sword on the table, and looked up at Dream. "You ready, your highness?"