C H A P T E R • F I F T E E N

Sapnap and I were quiet for a while, watching as the metal gates at the bottom of the arena slid open, and Dream's first challenger walked in - a short, tan skinned brunet who wore a beanie under his helmet, and carried an iron sword and shield in...

Sapnap and I were quiet for a while, watching as the metal gates at the bottom of the arena slid open, and Dream's first challenger walked in - a short, tan skinned brunet who wore a beanie under his helmet, and carried an iron sword and shield in his hands. Dream entered from the opposite side, now wearing the leather armour provided by the fight club. His armour was dyed red, whilst his opponent's was dyed yellow, and Dream carried an iron axe and shield with him. Fight club's armoury had an array of different weapons you could take into battle with you, and I hoped they had a trident I would be able to use for my fight.

"Hey Lex," Sapnap spoke from beside me, drawing me out of my thoughts. "You remember Technoblade?"

I turned to meet his gaze in some confusion.

"Yeah, of course I remember him," I stated, "What happened to him? He disappeared years ago, I think we were barely even teenagers then."

Sapnap shrugged, glancing towards the arena briefly.

"Nights like these make me wonder where he is, and what he's doing. He and Dream had a heavy rivalry, growing up. I wonder if Techno could still beat him."

"Those two were toxic back in the day," I smiled in recollection. "They didn't know when to quit."

"Hmm. I remember breaking them up a few times. Or trying to."

"Hey look, the fight's starting," I said. "Why do I vaguely recognise that guy?"

"It's Alex Quackity," said Sapnap. "We used to be really close! I'm so busy looking after you these days I never get to see my old friends."

The words were spoken without any malice or intent, but it still hit me in the chest like a tonne of bricks.

"Wait, what?!" I exclaimed, suddenly concerned for what he'd been missing out on. "Sapnap!"

Sapnap only laughed, shaking his head.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," he said, showing only amusement at my concern. "We were drifting apart anyways. But there was a few of us - Quackity, Karl... sometimes I wonder what those guys are doing these days."

"Sap you know you can take a day off any time you like to go visit them," I told him, unable to keep the soft concern out of my voice. "I'd even go with you if you wanted!"

"It's fine, I promise," he said. "I'd have said something if I wanted to take time off."

"Swear down?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Swear," he replied, his dark eyes going wide and innocent.

"Okay," I shook my head. "Just... damn. You dropped that on me out of nowhere, I feel kinda guilty."

"Oh, no no no, that wasn't my intention. I shouldn't have said anything, I'm sorry. I..." his words trailed away, and I realised he wasn't looking at me anymore, but past me.