C H A P T E R • T H I R T Y F O U R

I watched Wilbur step forward to speak to his people as if in a dream

I watched Wilbur step forward to speak to his people as if in a dream. I barely heard as he thanked them for their participation in the election, and thanked his opponents, Schlatt and Quackity, before wishing them all the best for the results. There was too many things running through my mind at that point in time to focus on what he was actually saying.

Seeing Quackity and Schlatt standing side by side had reminded me of the fact that I'd seen, or rather, heard the two of them together in the bar I'd entered from when I'd first set foot in L'Manburg several hours ago. I remembered too that Quackity had been the one to hire men of Schlatt's to go after Sapnap at fight club, and what Sapnap had said about Quackity's opinions on democracy. I felt as though I had all the clues I needed to piece together something complicated, but I couldn't step back from the picture far enough to see where each piece needed to go.

Techno glanced at me as I sighed, and I turned to meet his concerned gaze.

"What?" He muttered, as monotone as ever.

"I'm worried."

I didn't need to tell him what I was worried about, he knew. He nodded, just barely, and shook his head.

"Why are you here, Alexa?" He wondered. "I would have thought sending you alone into L'Manburg was not the smartest play. You are here alone, right?"

I nodded.

"I'd have to be outnumbered to be overpowered," I told him. "Outnumbered considerably. Nobody here owns a single piece of netherite, and they are not as capable as me in battle. As well as that, we've already lost too many of our own people. This was a task that couldn't be treated lightly, and we didn't want to trust it to anyone else."

"And have you succeeded?" He asked, nodding to the fingers of my right hand, where the disc rings glinted delicately under the mocking rays of the sun.

I stared at him for a moment, trying to detect any sign of trustworthiness in his eyes. They swirled between red and and a deep cerulean blue, sometimes almost purple.

I had to trust him, I decided. He'd trusted me to keep a hold of the discs, despite the fact that he had no idea of my intentions. It was a trust that was completely blind, and for what I knew of Techno, that wasn't something he did very easily. But it was clear that he did trust me at the moment, as we stood whispering to each other. Phil and Tommy stood to the side of us, speaking as quietly as we were, and if I'd wanted to, I could have impaled Techno on the sharp end of my trident, and gotten away with the rings before anyone could stop me.

"When the election results are announced," I told him, "Dream, George, Sapnap and Punz are going to capture the winner. Wilbur told us that whoever holds the discs controls L'Manburg, so my part in this is to give the discs to Dream to give him control of the area once again."

"I'm not going to let you do that," Techno told me seriously.

"Then you need to explain to me why," I stated. "I can only trust you so far without explanation, Techno. You said they give the holder of them control over our family, specifically. What kind of control? And how is that possible?"