C H A P T E R • T H I R T Y S I X

I felt disconnected from everything, barely even feeling my own footfalls on the ground as we regrouped outside the city walls

I felt disconnected from everything, barely even feeling my own footfalls on the ground as we regrouped outside the city walls. My head felt as though it were filled with cotton, and I struggled to make sense of anything that was happening. Thankfully, it appeared that Tommy, Wilbur and Phil were okay, and Techno was more than okay, making careless swipes at nothing with his sword in his usual bored manner.

"Are we gonna talk about what happened?" He asked, the first to speak up after we were safely outside the walls.

Punz and Sam were organising the army a little further down the hill, and Sapnap had joined my side. I was thankful to have my best friend and bodyguard back again, and he smiled at me softly. On his other side stood Rae. She was looking around nervously, and after a while Sapnap seemed to notice. He reached for her hand, entwining their fingers together and squeezing softly. Her dark eyes widened, but then she relaxed, returning the squeeze.

"We should," Dream was the only one to respond to Techno. "But not here. I'm still concerned that we saw barely any of Schlatt's own men today. They were all Badlands soldiers."

"Schlatt's guards are waiting to ambush you on your return to the castle," spoke up Rae. "Quackity's commanding them, that was the plan."

"Is he now," Sapnap nodded, understanding. "That explains it then."

"You should come with us," Phil suggested. "Rest up, eat something before you go home. Also, I'd like the chance to get to know my sister."

Dream turned to look at me, one eyebrow raised. I nodded immediately.

"I'd like that," I spoke quietly. "Can we?"

"Of course we can," was Dream's response, although his words were as quiet as mine.

There seemed to be an impassable distance between us at this point in time, a gap I felt incapable of closing. Dream stared at me from the other side, as though he wanted to pull me into his arms again, but I felt a foreign stab of uncertainty at the mere thought of allowing him to do this. I needed to know how he had been able to break the control of the rings, and why he had known, and for how long. Had he been lying to me my whole life, or was this a more recent development?

I tore my gaze away from his emerald eyes, only to meet Phil's worried look.

"Shall we go then?" He spoke, turning away from me.

"As soon as Punz is done," nodded Dream. "I'd like him to come with us."

"I'm done," Punz joined the group just as Dream spoke. "Sam's taking the army home. What's happening?"

"We're going to Pogtopia to rest up," stated Phil.

"Is that where you live?" Asked Sapnap, with a frown. "Where is that?"

"You remember that ravine we used to go to as kids?" Asked Techno bluntly.

"Wait, you live in there?" Asked Punz. "Didn't... isn't that where..."