Chapter 43

"Your father was the total opposite of your uncle. He hates me,Noorie. I don't know why he hated me that much. He was a very nice man before we got married. I don't know why he changed after we got married. He was very good at pretending. I am sorry to say this,but your father is an animal." Salma said to a shock Noorie. She didn't bother to hide the disgust in her eyes. How can a woman kill her husband? Maybe her mother was right. The truth will only hurt her.

"It was an accident." Salma muttered but loud enough for her to hear. Noorie knew she was talking about how she killed her father.

"He was working in Lagos so we were both living there. Just me and him. There was no family member there. Your father treated me like his slave. I lived like a slave in my husband's house." Salma explained with glistening eyes. Noorie stared at her mother wiping away her tears. Whatever her father might have done to her mum,she has no right to kill him.

"It was an arranged marriage so I didn't know much about him. We went to Lagos a week after the wedding. He left me in the house for almost a week. His number was not reachable. I was worried about that animal. I wanted us to work out. I didn't want to make the same mistake I made with your uncle." She wiped away her tears,thinking of the awful memories. Noorie buried her face in her hands. So much drama in a day. Her head feels heavy. She doesn't know how to handle the situation.

"I continued living in misery for months. I told Kaka and Goggo about how your father treats me. They didn't believe me. They said I have to be patient with my husband. They were scared of what people will say. I didn't get to visit them for almost a year and half." She sniffled,remembering how much she suffered in Abubakar's house.

"Your father left home one day and came back after a month or two. I was tired of how he treats me so I decided to question him. I have been keeping quiet whenever he insult or beats me. I was very angry that day. I can remember what he did to me that day."

27years ago....

Salma was sitting on a sofa in the dark livingroom. She was feeling very sick and her husband was not at home as usual. He comes back home after a week or two,but he spent almost two months without coming home.

She heard the doorbell and quickly stood up to open the door. Salma opened the door and looked at her drunk husband. He was very drunk. She almost couldn't recognize him.

"You fool! Why didn't you open the door quickly?" He asked,holding her neck tightly.

"Leave me alone." She said,trying to push him back. His mouth stinks of alcohol. She managed to push him back and ran inside the house. He ran after her,yelling at her. She entered her room and tried to close the door. He quickly pushed the door and she fell on the floor.

"Please don't hit me." She said,covering her face. She was expecting him to slap him but he didn't. She removed her hand slowly and looked at him. He was on the floor,dozing off. She quickly got up from the floor and left the room.

Abubakar is going to beat her if he wakes up. She quickly prepared his food. Maybe he won't  shout at her if she cooks for him. He doesn't complain about the food she makes so she made pasta. That is the only fast food she can make before he wakes up.
...........
"Salma! Salma! Salma!" Abubakar yelled,frightening his sleeping wife. She fell asleep on the sofa after cooking.

"Where is my food?" He asked,glaring at her.

"Let me quickly serve you." She said and quickly walked to the kitchen. She served his food and carried it to the dining table.