CHAPTER 14

"Go back to wherever you are coming from." Ammi ordered,glaring at me. I just came back home from Ya Maijida's house and all Ibwant to do is pray and sleep. I am not ready for my mother's trouble right now.

"I am sorry I walked out on you. I know I shouldn't have done that." I said,looking at everywhere but her. "But I don't like the way you talked to Ya Maryam. It is not fair. Atleast you should have considered her condition,she is pregnant. I am sorry. It won't happen again." I said raising my voice a little.

"I am blind koh? I don't have eyes. I don't know she is pregnant. You have to tell me. What is wrong with you? Why are you always supporting them? Why can't you support me? I am your mother not her." She whisper yelled. Ammi doesn't want Abba to hear our conversation.

Before I could reply,abba came downstairs.

"What is happening here? He asked looking at me and Ammi. "It nothing. I was just asking him some questions." Ammi replied,nervously. I wonder why Ammi is so scared of Abba.

"Where have you been?" He asked.

"I was at YaMaijida's house." I replied.

"Okay. It is almost time for prayer. Go and freshen up so we can go to the masjid (mosque) together.

"Okay." I said giving him a small smile. Thank God Abba was here to save me from Ammi.

"What is wrong with you Affan?" Abba inquired. I am in Abba's room and it seems Abba knows something is wrong somewhere. My mother didn't notice this but my father did. Ammi doesn't have our time. All she is interested in is how to impress her friends.

"Nothing is wrong with me. Everything is fine." I lied.

"Why are you lying?" He asked. There is no way I can lie to my father. He always find out am lying.

"I......" I trailed off. How do I tell my father I am in love? How will I start explaining everything to him.

"I understand when a man is in love. You don't have to be shy about it." Abba said and chucked. How did he find out?

"How did you find out?" I inquired.

He chucked . "My daughter never hides anything from me."

How did I forget that Ya Maijida can't keep a secret? She will surely tell Ya Maryam and Ya Maryam can't hide anything from Abba. Abba will surely tell Ammi about it and Ammi will tell Amina to find out who the girl is. This is how news spreads in my family. I am the only reliable person in the family.

"That is Ya Maryam's handiwork right?" I asked even though I was sure she is the one that told him.

"Who else if not her?"

"Daddy's girl." I mumbled.

"Who is the girl?" Abba asked.

"Her name is Hauwa. We bumped into each other in a boutique and we ended bumping into each other again in Dubai. She is a really nice girl. She is religious. I love her." I said smilling. "But we can't be together." I said,sadly.

"Why can't you be together?" Abba inquired.

"Her marriage has been arranged." A fierce pang of pain shot through me when I said that.

"Oh...." He trailed off. "Don't worry my son. Allah will provide someone else for you. Maybe she isn't your predestined wife. What if you get married and start having problems? I plan,you plan,but Allah is the best of planners. He is Al- Aleem. The All Knowing,The Omniscient. If Hauwa is your predestined wife,she will be your wife. If she isn't your predestined wife,Allah will provide someone else for you." He said and gave me a smile. I love my Abba so much. He always try his best to keep a smile on his children's face.

"Shukran jazeelan (thanks alot) Abba." I said giving him a genuine smile.

"I like it when you smile. I don't want to see any of my children sad. I know it isnt easy to forget your loved ones and I am not telling you to forget Hauwa. But please I don't want a repeat of what happened 8years ago. Promise me you won't change to that heartless boy again."

"I promise Abba. I have learnt my lesson the hard way. Do matter what happens in my life,I will never turn to thst heartless boy again." I assured.

"I loved Khadija alot. Death is inevitable. We will surely leave this world one day. It pains me whenever I remember that she is dead. But I do tell myself that she is in a better place. All she needs is my prayer." He said looking into space.

"May Allah forgive her for her sins." I prayed.

"Ameen." After some minutes he said "I wish she gave birth to the baby she was carrying." I scrunched up my face in confusion.

"She was pregnant?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Yes she was. She died with the baby." He replied,sadly.

"Oh..."I trailed off not knowing what to say.

"You know,your mother is a very good woman. She is a good wife and a good mother." He signed. "I know she is acting strange towards your sisters now. I don't know why she is doing that but before judging her, I want you to know she took very good care of them. She trained them to be the woman they are now. When we first got married, the first 9months wasn't easy for her at all. I will often call her khadija,but she will always smile and say 'she is in a better place'. She never for once showed me she was jealous or angry that I called her my late wife's name. She is a really good woman." He said smilling.

I know Ammi has always been a nice woman but her new attitude is bothering me alot. "Abba you lost a good wife and got another good one. You are lucky." I said trying to lighten up the mood.

"Yes I am." He smilled.

Ammi came inside the room before I could say anything. "Is this a father -son moment?" She asked no one in particular.

"Yes it is" Abba replied her smilling.

"That is cool. It is late,so you will have to continue your moment tomorrow. Affan goodnight." She said and gestured to the door.

"Goodnight Abba. Goodnight Ammi." I said and left the room to mine.

Today is an eventful day. Switching off the light,I went directly to bed. I can't help but think about Noorie. Is she affected by this? What is she doing now? Probably talking to her fiance. I don't think she is happy about the marriage. So maybe she is asleep. Should I call? But what will I say to her? It will be akward. I carried my phone that was lying on the bed. I am contemplating if Ishould dial her number or not. If I call her by this time,wouldn't it be wrong? She told me she is getting married so calling her by this time will be wrong. Ya Allah I am so confused right now. I can't even sleep. All I think about is Noorie. Checking the time on my phone I realised the time is 3am already. Let me just perform ablution and pray nawafills. I will pour my heart out to Allah. He Is Al-Hadiy. The Guide. He will guide me through the right path.

Hello everyone!

How are you? How is your family?

I am not happy because you aren't voting.

I need you to tell me what you think about the book.

Thank you.

Meena