Chapter 29

Enjoy

I still can't believe i am married to Mahmud Modibbo. It still feels like a dream to me. I can't even explain what i feel. I don't love Mahmud atall,if anything i hate him. I remembered when i called him three weeks to the wedding. I told him to talk to his parents about cancelling the wedding. He told me he is sorry but he can't. I angrily left the restaurant and came back home.  I will make sure i make his life a living hell. He will regret ever marrying me.

"Congratulations sweetheart. You are finally mrs Mahmud" my maternal cousin said,grinning.

"Thank you" i managed to force a smile. Only if they know how much I hate being referred to as Mrs Mahmud. They won't even try calling me that.

The room is filled with my friends and cousin. They just tied the knot and everyone has been congratulating me. Asmau took it upon herself to invite all of my friends for my wedding. Left to me,i just want a simple Nikkah. She made sure everything was perfect,even though she isn't talking to me.

I can't stop thinking about what happened between me and Affan. I am kind of angry at myself for doing that,but a small part in me is happy about it. I really love Affan and i am ready to do anything to be with him. I am sure Mahmud will end up divorcing me when i start dealing with him. He will regret ever marrying me.

"Masha Allah. You look so beautiful,Hauwa" Aunt ruqayya beamed. She is so happy,you will even think she is the bride's mother. Aunt ruqayya has been really supportive. Although she is my mother's cousin but it feels like she is my mother. She came back to Nigeria three weeks to the wedding. According to her,she wants everything to be perfect. She has been acting like the bride's mother. My mother is slightly ill. Ever since she gave birth to my sister,Ayaana she has been sick. She is in her late forties and giving birth at her age comes with challenges which may include preeclampsia,gestational diabetes and so on. I don't really know what is wrong with her. We only met once after I went to greet her when she gave birth to Ayaana. Asmau dragged me to the hospital to see her and we didn't even talk much. It was as if she wasn't the one who wanted to tell me about my father. She didn't even spare me a glance. We haven't met ever since then. Although one of my cousin told me she is downstairs. I am happy she attended my wedding even though my father didn't.

Uncle Ameer and Aunt safiyya also came back for the wedding with my cousins. My favourite uncle is also here. I can't still believe uncle Malik is here. The last time i saw him was four years ago when one of my cousin was getting married. I was in Nigeria and went to Gombe for the wedding. I hardly see uncle Malik because he is always on a business trip. He only comes one in a while. He is like my father even though his wife,aunt maryam hates me so much. The woman doesn't even want to see me close to her husband. It isn't a surprise that she refused to attend the wedding. Uncle Malik is Goggo's nephew. He is aunt ruqayya and aunt safiyya's elder brother.

This wedding would have been really nice if i was getting married to Affan instead of Mahmud. My whole maternal family is here for the wedding. I am really glad they are here even though i am not happy about the marriage.

"Your husband is here to see you" Aunt ruqayya said,smilling. I didn't even know she was still standing here. I was so lost in thought. I nodded and gave her a small smile.

My aunt sent my friends and cousins away from the room. She said i need to dress up. She helped me into my dress and led me downstairs. My face was covered so i couldn't see properly. I wasn't nervous like other brides. In short I couldn't wait for all this drama to end so that i can sleep peacefully.

"Your wife" aunt ruqayya said and placed my hand on Mahmud's own. I mentally rolled my eyes at that. Mahmud opened the veil covering my head. He was looking at me with that dazzling smile.