CHAPTER 52:

After three weeks, today was the day Sam was coming back as well as Jackie and Jaja.

We were all outside, waiting for them.

It felt so long and I honestly hoped that he had improved just like we did.

"I can't wait to see Sam again" Eri smiled.

"me too; so I could beat him up a little bit same for Jaja" Rayhan grinned like an evil mastermind.

"remember mother is going to slay you if you hurt Jaja" Imogen reminded him.

"I don't think that rule applies to us" Mae and Yura snickered at each other.

"true or she could still hand you over to dad"

We all ceased our conversation when we saw them walk through the gates and smiles crawled on our faces.

"hey" Jackie casually greeted us as we walked to them with a warm welcome.

"how's your training going?" she asked while coming down from her horse.

"so far so good" I smiled back.

"good because I'd like to spar with you. It outta be fun" she smirked and I swallowed the huge lump in my throat.

"not tonight, mother said after we welcome you, we should all head over for dinner and she has something important to say" Imogen said out of nowhere.

"guess we'll do it tomorrow" she got her stuff and we all walked in as the guards took the horses to the stables.

"I don't think I'll have much time tomorrow. I'm patrolling the outer boarders' tomorrow with my squad. Maybe next time" Jackie smiled genuinely.

"how was the trip Sam?" I gave him a hug.

"it was cool if you exclude the fact that I thought I was going to die a couple times" he nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

"what do you mean?"

"the training exercises we did were very dangerous and deadly. We even killed a huge boar and Sam saved Jackie's life"

Everyone was shocked by it and stopped in their track changing glances from Sam to Jackie.

"is this true?" Imogen asked.

"not like I saved her life, I only pushed her out of the way of a charging boar; no big deal" he shrugged.

"b-but Jackie is the one who does the saving" Mae commented.

"I didn't sense the boar on time alright? I was disoriented"

………………………………………………

We were all seated and chatting around the dining table.

Everyone was in an especially good mood tonight and there wasn't anything to ruin it.

"ahem" the king tapped his glass with his cutlery, gaining our attention.

"as you all know, the priestess' daughter, Lyra has been with us for a while now; but the public doesn't. I feel it's time to let them know that their savior and hero has returned. Some of them have already lost hope in the Khamatu's and their blood lines. They will be a great feast in honor of your arrival and we shall begin making preparations for it"

The feeling of nervousness washed over me.

I always had a problem when it came to crowds and couldn't stand being the center of attention.

"at least it's only one party and one day" I said to myself but it seems I wasn't silent enough because Imogen whispered.

"we have to host our traditional dance ceremony before the ball"

All color washed from my face the moment I heard 'dance' because I'm as stiff as a board.

It never really came to me so well and I never really had time to dance in my life since I spent most of my time struggling to survive.

But this should be a good time to learn, have fun and let loose, a little.

At least while I can.

King Cyrus' POV:

I had been on this journey for a while now.

Since it's only me and my thoughts, I do whatever I want whenever I want and no one holding me back.

I had to wear a cloak to hide a great deal of my face so no one would bother me.

According to what the soldiers told me, the girls were heading west and only stopping to get fruits and rest.

Nadia was helpful as well telling me exactly where they had stopped and that was where I had stopped.

I'm sure they had a bit of fun on their journey unlike me who was traveling alone.

Even as I stared at the stars before drifting to sleep, I couldn't help but feel like my life has been worthless from the beginning.

I have never experienced happiness and whenever I did, it would only be for a short while.

My anger, frustration and sadness made me get addicted and drove away the one thing that made me happy.

I felt like a fool and honestly hoped I could find her and beg her for her forgiveness.

Despite everyone giving me hope about her forgiving me, I don't think she will; at least not easily.

I noticed I was in the clearing called the 'wilderness' and I knew I was getting closer.

I rode my horse slowly back into the woods in front of me.

My men said they had gotten ambushed around here and I couldn't wait to see what made them run off like chickens.

I could feel there was something odd about this forest but chose not to say anything about it.

The further down I rode, the thicker the trees got.

I stopped when I heard something shift through the trees and remained calm.

They wouldn't hurt me not like they could anyway.

"who are you and what do you want?" one of them said suddenly without showing their face.

It's either I lie or tell the truth but them knowing my identity might not be helpful in this situation.

"p-please I'm a humble merchant who is in need of assistance. I escaped my town in search of the lost city; please help me" I tried to sound as frail and timid as possible.

They were silent and didn't say anything for the longest while.

"you're lying" one of them jumped down and pointed an arrow to my face.

"I can't hear your heartbeat so you're not human. I ask again; who are you and what do you want?" she sounded serious.

Enough beating around the bush; time to get this over with.

"my name is Cyrus and I'm the king of Redlake; I'm here tracking someone I love and want to set things right. I mean no harm to you or your people"

She was silent for a while before asking another question.

"who do you seek?"

"her name is Lyra"

The girl in front of me froze and looked shocked beyond repair.

Will he be allowed to cross over?
COMMENT, FOLLOW AND VOTE
XOXO…